Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

South Rand Mine 9 years 11 months ago #20320

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 455
Hello Saxon

Many thanks for these pages, very interesting. Would be great to read the whole diary one day - any plans to transcribe it?

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
The following user(s) said Thank You: saxon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

South Rand Mine 9 years 11 months ago #20330

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 443
Hi Saxon, Meurig and others

Lowe is the sole representative of the Grootvlei skirmish in my "Battles" collection.

In another article on the event "The Rifle Brigade near Grootvlei, Boxing Day 1900" by Jason Grover (OMRS Journal, Winter 1995, p249) Lowe is credited with a KSA. However, I acquired the QSA with a loose 1901 bar and it checks out on the QSA roll.

Henk
Attachments:

South Rand Mine 9 years 11 months ago #20336

• saxon
  • saxon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 19
Hi, that's a very nice medal, I must keep my eye out for a participant to that action, one of my recent purchases was a medal to 42221 Gunner J watton 68th Battery R F A Severely wounded in the action at DEWETSDORP.I was pleased to get it because I have a series of letters written by an officer in the 17th lancers who had written home to his mother the lady Carden of Stargroves Newbury Berks, and in one letter he says QUOTE, On this day the bretheren went and we hurried on for about 5 miles to Dewetsdorp, but of course we were to late and the place had fallen. There will be a lot about it in the papers but I know what a gallant defence was made there by the H L I and the gunners, three days without water, and the heat terrific!

Best regards saxon.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.923 seconds