Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Border Mounted Rifles Boer War Photos Tpr E.Fell 8 years 4 months ago #44286

• crypt
  • crypt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 180
Afternoon all

Whilst on a recent trip to Sani Pass in Natal to run a marathon, I visited the Himeville Museum, a little gem in the Underberg.

There were a series of photographs of the Border Mounted Rifles, I assume they were locals at the time. One name leaped out at me E.Fell, and I was convinced I had his Boer War medal. Once home I discovered I did indeed have it and no I can add a face to his QSA. The little cards were interesting, never seen those before, I wonder if the whole regiment had pictures taken?

I have higher definition pics if any body wants copies.

Cheers
Jon

The following user(s) said Thank You: Wray Mayne

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Border Mounted Rifles Boer War Photos Tpr E.Fell 8 years 4 months ago #44287

• davidh
  • Thank you received: 246
This is a really interesting post Jon particularly as it includes a photo of Tpr. Simpson as I have the QSA clasps DL/Tr/LN and Natal Rebellion clasp 1906 to 214 Tpr. J. Simpson of the BMR. He may or may not be my man but I'd appreciate a higher definition photo or a blow up photo of him. (The last one of the cigarette card style photos).

Many thanks in advance.

Regards

David

Border Mounted Rifles Boer War Photos Tpr E.Fell 8 years 4 months ago #44288

• crypt
David

No problem, these sre reduced in order to fit. Although I did not have a proper camera and relied on my cell phone, also there was a spotlight and the prints were framed behind glass, I do have clearer HD shots and can send you Simpson. Just message me your email address and I will do it tomorrow. Glad you found this post useful

Jon
The following user(s) said Thank You: davidh

Border Mounted Rifles Boer War Photos Tpr E.Fell 8 years 4 months ago #44291

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Jon
Thank you for a great post! Coincidentally, I have spent the past month or two writing an account of the role of German settlers in the BMR. They were mainly in the Port Shepstone Squadron, so they were far from the Drakensbergers shown in the Himeville Museum photos.

At yesterday's meeting of the Durban Medal Group, which I will report on elsewhere, my contribution was to show BMR medals that reflect the regiment's short 20 year history (1894 - 1914) - 1897 Jubilee Medal to Cpl I Poss; QSA (DoL) & 1902 Coronation to Cpl C R Heslop; and QSA (TH, RoL) & Natal Rebellion to Tpr (later SSM) H R Mason. Also, a few BMR badges.

I also took, but forgot to show a copy of the book. 'Hear the Ring Dove Call' by Peter Court, a novel based on a diary kept by a BMR soldier in the Highflats Troop. (It was not a best seller.)

Regards
Brett

Border Mounted Rifles Boer War Photos Tpr E.Fell 8 years 4 months ago #44293

• crypt
Morning Brett

How wonderful it is to see you have medal meetings where you can get together with like minded collectors and enjoy the fruits of our interest in preserving and honouring men in our collections. Nice spread of BMR examples you have, look forward to your report back. Please book a meeting for May 2016, I'll be down for Comrades again.
Regards
Jon

Border Mounted Rifles Boer War Photos Tpr E.Fell 8 years 4 months ago #44324

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Good heavens, those are really nice photographs, how many are we talking about here, not the whole regiment I assume?

crypt wrote: Afternoon all

Whilst on a recent trip to Sani Pass in Natal to run a marathon, I visited the Himeville Museum, a little gem in the Underberg.

There were a series of photographs of the Border Mounted Rifles, I assume they were locals at the time. One name leaped out at me E.Fell, and I was convinced I had his Boer War medal. Once home I discovered I did indeed have it and no I can add a face to his QSA. The little cards were interesting, never seen those before, I wonder if the whole regiment had pictures taken?

I have higher definition pics if any body wants copies.

Cheers
Jon

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.828 seconds