Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

No clasp BSAP QSA - a question. 1 year 8 months ago #85618

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2166
I'm contemplating the purchase of a group which contains a bona fide no-clasp QSA to 1455 Tpr. F.J. Pye of the BSAP.

The medal roll indicates entitlement to the SA 1901 & 1902 but, as far as the state clasps go, there is a No Clasps comment etched across the relevant section.

My question is - how can one determine where the man fought if he had no clasp entitlement because of, ostensibly, insubordination in February 1902?

Regards

Rory

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

No clasp BSAP QSA - a question. 1 year 8 months ago #85625

• Smethwick
  • Thank you received: 861
Rory - 1455 Pye appears on two BSAP medal rolls - the one you refer to and the one attached. For the attached one the Ancestry transcriber understandably read his initials as "T J" but they are for the same man as shown by the common service number and the fact that both are annotated that he was dismissed for insubordination on 09/02/1902. This second one shows he was issued with a QSA on 01/09/1905 along with several others who, along with him, did not receive any state of battle clasps. Does not the other medal roll show he did receive both date clasps but was not entitled to the KSA? Probably showing my ignorance here - did some of the BSAP just act as policemen throughout the war and never got involved in the fighting. David.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Rory

No clasp BSAP QSA - a question. 1 year 8 months ago #85628

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4561
Rory,

As a member of the BPAP, he could have spent his time in 1901 and early 1902 in Rhodesia. If this was the case, he would only be entitled to the date clasps as entitlement to Rhodesia ended in May 1900.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

No clasp BSAP QSA - a question. 1 year 8 months ago #85630

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2166
Thank you David and Smethwick

David - I think that is the most plausible scenario. I can't recall if the BSAP attestation papers are extant or not, but they might provide more detail. In conclusion, I would say that this makes the medal (part of a group) less desirable. Certainly so if you look at what the dealer is asking.

Regards

Rory

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.426 seconds