TOPIC:

Muster Roll for Rifle Brigade (1892-1913) 1 year 6 months ago #86434

• JP89
  • JP89's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello All,

My research into my great-great grandfather's time in the Rifle Brigade (2 Bn from early 1893-1902 and then 1 Bn until 1913) is progressing well and I have been quite successful in writing a diary as if written by him as to what life was like. This includes their time at home (and Ireland) and Malta as well as life on campaign in Egypt/Sudan (Omdurman), Crete and of course South Africa.

To make it more personable (rather than just relying on letters, diaries, articles and other things), I am trying to get hold of as many different muster rolls of the period so that I can ascertain who else served with him and when and look these people up too.

So far, I have only been able to locate one, taken in March 1898 in Malta, just a few months before they left for the Egypt/Sudan campaign and shortly after 2 Bn's ranks were swelled by the arrival of about 500 men from 1 Bn from Singapore and Hong Kong. It is just a list of names and numbers but that was enough for me. I have photographs of each page and attempted to digitise it for my records so if anyone is interested in someone in particular, let me know. This is held on record at the National Archives at Kew and most of the handwriting is (for once) quite legible, though I have found some errors. Unfortunately some of the binding has cut off some of the text and numbers for some soldiers but I don't think this is too big a deal for what I need it for.

Does anybody know whether any more muster rolls exist in museums, archives, personal collections or otherwise for the Rifle Brigade battalions mentioned above for this time period please? I have asked the regimental museum at Winchester and the Hampshire Records Office, sadly neither have any. I know I could use the medal rolls but that doesn't break it down by company.

Any advice would be much appreciated, though I understand the likelihood of them coming to light is probably slim.

Many thanks!

Best regards,
Joe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.403 seconds