• Page:

TOPIC:

The elusive P Walker, an acetylene man in Mafeking 1 year 3 months ago #88228

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4561
I have been searching for the forename for this man this weekend without success and have run out of sources to consult. I have been looking for Patrick, Percy, Percival, Paul, Peter, Philip ... to no avail.

Finding his forename would probably enable a better biographical search.

This is his entry in the draft Mafeking book:

Enlisted in the Kimberley Volunteer Regiment (484 Private), 8 August 1899. Transferred to the Mounted Company, Bechuanaland Rifles, 12 October 1899. 'No authority having been given for this transfer for he is still retained on the strength of the Kimberley Regt'. Perhaps he was a despatch rider who became trapped in Mafeking? His name appears in the BeR attendance books for 1899. The Kimberley Rifles attendance books recorded 'Struck off in error (Said to be shut off at Mafeking and doing duty with Bechuanaland Rifles)'. Not listed as serving with any specific section of the MTG as at 12 October 1899 on the Siege Slip nominal roll. Involved in the use of acetylene for searchlights and signalling lamps. Reportedly a salesman for the Acetylene Gas Company. 'BP, Greener and Bell went to the Railway Maintenance Yard to see search light being made which was going to run on acetylene. Bell thought it would illuminate up to 100 yards distance.' (Bell, 8 March). 'Appointed to take charge of all Acetylene Lamps and arrangements from 7th instant, inclusive, with Extra Pay. Pay at the rate of 12/6 while so employed.' (MM089, 9 March). 'Private Walker, Bechuanaland Rifles, being no longer required for special duty in connection with the above, will return to regimental duty from Wednesday, 25th inst. inclusive, and will be struck off extra pay accordingly. The Colonel Commanding wishes to place on record his appreciation of the good work done by Mr Walker in fitting up search and signalling lights for the Garrison.' (MM125, 23 April). Discharged from the KVR on 12 September 1901.

The closest possible match I found was Patrick Harry Walker who married in Kimberley on 1903 and was described as a miner. There is also a Patrick Henry Walker, also a miner who also married in Kimberley.

His QSA was sold by Spink in November 1990.

Any help much appreciated.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The elusive P Walker, an acetylene man in Mafeking 1 year 3 months ago #88231

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2166
It's not Patrick Harry Walker - I have his medals - see here www.angloboerwar.com/forum/5-medals-and-...ter-p-h-walker#57921

I'll also have a look for you
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.342 seconds