Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

6733 Sergeant F W Fisher – a casualty or not? 1 year 4 weeks ago #89272

• Smethwick
  • Smethwick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 824
A recent newspaper search threw up another possible soldier of the Boer War with a connection to Smethwick when I found this newspaper article in the Bromsgrove, Droitwich & Redditch Weekly Messenger of October 27th 1900:

As you can see Sergeant Fisher came in for special mention for gallantry and had a brother residing in Smethwick. Armed with his service number finding his attestation papers & service record should have been a doddle but Find My Past came up with “No Records”. Searching the same paper the next year provided a possible reason:

The article does not actually say he died in South Africa and further newspaper searching and other sources available to me provided no confirmation.

Turning to Ancestry for the medal rolls of the Volunteer Service Company of the 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment produced a double hit. He is listed on two medal rolls drawn up in Bewdley, Worcestershire. The first dated September 23rd 1901 shows he was awarded the Queen’s South Africa Medal with Wittebergen, Cape Colony & Transvaal clasps, the second dated January 8th 1904 shows he was awarded a fourth clasp – South Africa 1901. The right hand “Remarks” column on both is blank against his name although both show one of his comrades “Died at Sea” on June 3rd 1901.

If he did die of tuberculosis in De Aar he should be listed on one of the cemetery memorials there but having found them in the past I seem to have lost the knack. So if anybody can oblige I would be very grateful.

Only armed with initials I did not hold out much hope of examining census returns although they did throw up a 7 year old Frank Weaver Fisher living in Bromsgrove in 1881 and by 1891 he and his parents and only brother had moved to Birmingham – the trouble is that his brother was called Ernest Arthur Fisher which does not fit with the 1900 newspaper article.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6733 Sergeant F W Fisher – a casualty or not? 1 year 4 weeks ago #89273

• Neville_C
  • Thank you received: 1992
I cannot find your man on the Official Casualty Roll or in Watt, which suggests he did not die in South Africa.

Neville
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smethwick

6733 Sergeant F W Fisher – a casualty or not? 1 year 4 weeks ago #89278

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1881
He is listed in FMP as having the KSA with two bars so he must have survived,,,,,,

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neville_C, Smethwick

6733 Sergeant F W Fisher – a casualty or not? 1 year 4 weeks ago #89280

• Smethwick
  • Smethwick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 824
Thank you both for driving the fixation from my head that he did die in S Africa. This has caused me to look at later editions of the local paper and all is revealed, quite why I did not discover it in the first place is beyond me - it just goes to show one should always keep an open mind.

His name was Frederick William Fisher, born, raised and died in Bromsgrove. He was invalided home in 1901 arriving back in Bromsgrove at the end of August 1901. When he arrived back in Bromsgrove he was feted as a local hero and in November 1902 they held a smoking concert in the Dog & Pheasant in Bromsgrove (it still stands today) when they presented him with a cheque for £20 and a gold pendant. However he never recovered full health and had to undergo an operation which was carried out in the home of one of his many brothers in Birmingham. This probably prolonged his life but he spent his remaining life disabled although he managed to marry in 1907. On the morning of Sunday 22nd March 1908 he eventually answered the call of the grim reaper aged only 31. He died in the home of another brother who lived in the High Street, Bromsgrove and was given a military funeral at the local church. I have now identified him and his many siblings (11 to be precise) on several accessible family trees on Ancestry - not one has discovered his Boer War Service let alone that he was a hero in Bromsgrove. The brother who lived in Smethwick was seven years his senior and named Henry - based on census returns he did not live in Smethwick for very long. So. I cannot count Frederick William as a Smethwickian, which is a shame.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neville_C

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.070 seconds