Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

A St Helens man joins the Cape Police 7 years 4 months ago #50272

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2304
At St. Helens Police Court, on Friday, John Sparkes, of Clock Face, made application to the magistrates to join the Cape Mounted Police. He said he was twenty two years of age, and, having been born in Widnes, was a British subject. He was 5ft. 9in. high, weighed 11st. 6lb., and his chest measurement was 36in. He had never been apprenticed, and had been twelve months in Natal, and had a slight knowledge of Kaffir and Dutch. He could ride, shoot, and swim, and had had military instruction, and had served in Lord Methuen's Mounted Infantry, and after retiring from that regiment had joined the South African Constabulary. He now wished to join the Cape Mounted Police. The application was granted.

St Helens Reporter, 15 March 1901
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brett Hendey

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A St Helens man joins the Cape Police 7 years 4 months ago #50295

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
I found this to be a very interesting post. I had not realised that it was necessary for a British citizen to apply for permission from a magistrate to join a Colonial military unit.

Brett

A St Helens man joins the Cape Police 7 years 4 months ago #50297

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Brett,
Think of it in similar terms as merely a character reference, perfectly normal.
Regards Frank

Brett Hendey wrote: I found this to be a very interesting post. I had not realised that it was necessary for a British citizen to apply for permission from a magistrate to join a Colonial military unit.

Brett

A St Helens man joins the Cape Police 7 years 4 months ago #50298

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2304
Brett, could he have been in a 'protected' trade? Thus necessitating him having to make an application.

I found another newspaper article, from February 1901, which contained the following : - "On Thursday night last week a parade of St. Helens Engineers was held, and on volunteers for South Africa being asked for, about 100 men stepped forward, together with Lieutenant Campbell. Owing to the very exacting restrictions of the War Office, many of the men will not qualify either with measurements or trade; but it is hoped that at least a detachment of 25 will go out under Lieutenant Campbell, who is very popular with the men of the regiment."
So there seems to have been some restriction with regard to a man's trade, but was it a restriction requiring the right class of trade? i.e. The War Office didn't want a night soil collector joining the IY, but a gentleman was acceptable. This would fit in with Frank's reply.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.350 seconds