Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Nicknames of the South Africa Mounted Irregular Forces 10 years 11 months ago #10516

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Justin,
Both the third and last are very unkind! :(
Regards Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Nicknames of the South Africa Mounted Irregular Forces 10 years 11 months ago #10519

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 443
Hi
I seem to recall that Gorringe's Flying Column was sometimes referred to as Gorringe's Flying Oxen : apparently on account of the large number of ox wagons that often accompanied them...

Henk Loots

Nicknames of the South Africa Mounted Irregular Forces 10 years 11 months ago #10527

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Members
Not at all a unit of the SAMIF - however I do recall reading of the C.I.Vs being described/self described as "Chamberlain's Innocent Victims".
IL.

Nicknames of the South Africa Mounted Irregular Forces 10 years 11 months ago #10528

• JustinLDavies
  • JustinLDavies's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 119
I've found a reference to the Imperial Yeomanry being known as 'De Wet's Own'!

J

Nicknames of the South Africa Mounted Irregular Forces 10 years 2 months ago #17420

• LinneyI
Gentlemen
Yet another nickname discovered: Book "Lord Methuen and the British Army" by Stephen Miller, notes to chapter 5 says that Rimington's Guides were known as the "Catchem-Alive-Ohs" and the "Tigers". This was at the time of the advance to Modder River.
Regards to all
IL.

Nicknames of the South Africa Mounted Irregular Forces 10 years 1 month ago #18322

• LinneyI
Gentlemen
And yet another! I was reading A.B.(banjo) Paterson's "Boer War Dispatches" and I ran across this nickname for the Remount Department: "The Horsehold Hussars". A bit of a play on words, there.
To assist those other Colonials, I should point out that Paterson was an accredited war correspondant for the Sydney Morning Herald and the Melbourne Argus and reported for nine months on the journey to Bloemfontein. In many ways he was a contemporary of Rudyard K. For some years, A.B.P. lived just down the road from where I now live.
The Dispatches were not all about OZ contingents by any means. His little poems "Maxims of War" and "Cape Mounted Rifles" (both written 1900) are in my opinion, minor masterpieces.
IL.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.439 seconds