Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Nicknames of the South Africa Mounted Irregular Forces 10 years 11 months ago #10453

• JustinLDavies
  • JustinLDavies's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 119
The South African Mounted Irregular Forces were viewed ambivalently by many in the Regular Army. Some of them received nicknames, either for their fighting prowess, their perceived or actual lack of discipline or other reasons.

I thought I'd start a thread that pulls together as many of the nicknames as possible. Here to kick off with are some recorded in 'A History of the British Cavalry Volume 4: 1899-1913' by the Marquess of Anglesey (1986):

Bethune's Mounted Infantry:

"The other unit raised by White's order was Bethune's Mounted Infantry, known irreverently as 'Bethune's Buccaneers'". (p.71)

South African Light Horse:

"On the regiment's slouch hat were worn the long black tail feathers of the Sakabula bird. Consequently the members of the regiment came to be known as 'the Sakabulus'". (p.72)

Brabant's Horse:

"Early in 1900 certain other horsed units were raised in the Eastern Province of Cape Colony. Chief of these was Brabant's Horse, nicknamed by Haig the 'Brabanttetti', from the men's undisciplined behaviour'. (p.73)

Justin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Nicknames of the South Africa Mounted Irregular Forces 10 years 11 months ago #10454

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Was not Haig in the 17th Lancers at the time? I've always held Brabants Horse in very high regard!

I did the whole WPMR=Will Provide Maritz Rifles thing yesterday!

Regards Frank

JustinLDavies wrote: The South African Mounted Irregular Forces were viewed ambivalently by many in the Regular Army. Some of them received nicknames, either for their fighting prowess, their perceived or actual lack of discipline or other reasons.

I thought I'd start a thread that pulls together as many of the nicknames as possible. Here to kick off with are some recorded in 'A History of the British Cavalry Volume 4: 1899-1913' by the Marquess of Anglesey (1986):

Bethune's Mounted Infantry:

"The other unit raised by White's order was Bethune's Mounted Infantry, known irreverently as 'Bethune's Buccaneers'". (p.71)

South African Light Horse:

"On the regiment's slouch hat were worn the long black tail feathers of the Sakabula bird. Consequently the members of the regiment came to be known as 'the Sakabulus'". (p.72)

Brabant's Horse:

"Early in 1900 certain other horsed units were raised in the Eastern Province of Cape Colony. Chief of these was Brabant's Horse, nicknamed by Haig the 'Brabanttetti', from the men's undisciplined behaviour'. (p.73)

Justin

Nicknames of the South Africa Mounted Irregular Forces 10 years 11 months ago #10455

• JustinLDavies
Frank

Thanks. Have been away so missed the WPMR post - will take a look.

J

Nicknames of the South Africa Mounted Irregular Forces 10 years 11 months ago #10469

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Justin

A very good idea and I look forward to responses.

Rimington's Guides (later Damant's Horse) were known as "Tigers" because of the leopard skin band on their hats. Evidently this came from the Afrikaans (Dutch) "tiers" (= tigers), a name that may have been applied to leopards as well.

While the SALH were known as "the Sakabulas" during the Boer War, after the war the sakabula bird must have been in short supply, if not bordering on extinction as a result of the depredations by the SALH. Consequently, in his book on the armed forces of South Africa, Major Tylden wrote:
"From 1902 to 1907 the S.A.L.H. were a regiment of Johannesburg Volunteers, known as "the Cocky-Ollie Birds", from the cock's plumes worn in a dark green felt hat and buff pagri."

Sakabulas have had a hard time. After being targeted by the SALH, they have suffered as a result of habitat destruction by farming and urban development.

Regards
Brett

Nicknames of the South Africa Mounted Irregular Forces 10 years 11 months ago #10474

• JustinLDavies
Brett,

Thanks.

I have seen the Imperial Light Horse referred to as 'Israel's Last Hope' ( a reference to 'Judasberg' and the Reform Committee) and 'Imperial Light Looters' (later in the war).

I will have to find the references.

I can't find a nickname for Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry but Crozier's reminiscences of his time in the TMI is titled 'Angels on Horseback'!

Justin

Nicknames of the South Africa Mounted Irregular Forces 10 years 11 months ago #10482

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Interested members
Quite a while ago I saw a reference to the Eastern Province Horse (EPH) being nicknamed the "Electro Plated Horse"; a pun on the EPNS marking on cutelry sets (electroplated nickel silver). For those who came in late, EPNS looked like silver - but was not! I can't remember where I saw the reference. It was a long while ago.
IL.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.735 seconds