TOPIC:

November 5th 12 years 6 months ago #1378

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
1900 - Hunter succeeds Kelly-Kenny in command at Bloemfontein.
1902 - Mr. Chamberlain expounds policy of British Government towards the new colonies.

Colonel Kekewich's diary:
Enemy very quiet to-day; they appear to be moving stores from Riverton to Intermediate Pumping Station and Kampers Dam.

I am very sorry to say that 6 men of the Diamonds Field Horse are missing. They went out on patrol in Carter’s Farm direction. Of course the Mounted Troops do not understand patrolling work well at present, and in addition they are inclined to be careless.

Nothing special up to this afternoon about 5 pm about 400 of the enemy were reported as approaching the Reservoir section of defence.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

November 5th 8 years 4 months ago #44507

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From the diary of William Watson, Ladysmith, November 1899:

We purpose going and squatting on the river’s bank today. I mean in the bed of the river. I am not sure we shall manage to get there, for we have a palsied man to carry, and he can not walk a step. I and his wife will probably have to carry him, and we are neither of us Samsons. —11 a.m. Two guns from our lines apparently. No reply from the Boers. Perhaps they don’t mean to fight on a Sunday. — Rumour has it that General French, with 8000 troops, is close on Ladysmith, between here and Colenso. Also that General Buller is advancing via Basutoland, and the Free State, with the English army. They are needed. We have plenty of troops to keep the town, but not enough to send out to storm the rebel position. The town may be a good deal battered, and some of us townsfolk killed, but Joubert will never get the place. We are impatient to hear French’s or Buller’s guns to the rescue. — It is a beautiful, bright day, with little to show that we are closely invested by an enemy. This is pleasant after being bombarded at intervals for four days. When they again open fire on us, the town will be no safe place. Many parties are cutting into the river’s banks, and making a sort of cave in which to take refuge. Of course these are only comparatively safe. — The rebels have got four more big guns. It is all useless, they will never get possession of the place.
Dr David Biggins

November 5th 7 years 6 months ago #49505

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1899 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

Parade at 4. At 5 o’clock we were told off to requisition all serviceable horses in town. Visited stables in sections. We got about 60. The owners in some cases much objected, while others were only too glad as the horses were to be valued and paid for if retained. Fully 50% were rejected. 24 hous armistice arranged to allow the women and children and non-combatants to leave town. The former were taken over the river to a neutral piece of ground. Most of the wounded also going. The whole regiment told off making laagers etc. in left bank of river in anticipation of the Boers bombarding the town. Sergt. Mapstone died of Friday’s wound. On guard.
Dr David Biggins

November 5th 7 years 6 months ago #49506

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1899 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

We were up at daylight this morning preparing for the move. Dr Hyslop came in after breakfast. I think he is rather worried fearing it may not be for the best. After a talk we said we would go up to the Hospital and ask Nurse Yateman if we would be a help. If not we would remain here. So Aunt Fanny and I went up. They were all so busy and looked tired and confused, for their time was short and everything was to be done. Nothing had gone out up to then. We walked through the tents and could see the patients laid in bed as the ventilation flaps were rolled up. They looked in all sorts of conditions. One poor Gordon Highlander was in a dreadful state. Nurse told us that he had been a fortnight in the same condition. They said it would be a mercy if he died.

He was wounded in the head and his brain protruded. He called out in such an insane way and seemed so weak. And fancy, all these people, I should think two or three hundred, all had to be moved and the baggage requisite for Ambulance before dark tonight. I do hope their tents would all be ready to receive them.

After talking to Nurse Yateman we came to the conclusion we would not go but remain in Town. They have so many nurses and orderlies, they do not require, or do not want, no, I don't know which it is, but they say if they want help they will let us know. Major Bruce also told us he thought we would be just as safe here, and would be glad to have us if they required assistance. As soon as we got home, Uncle Bill, Bert and Mr. Carson with boys, left with shovels and pickaxes for the river bank to prepare a place. They worked until the light failed and have succeeded in making a very nice cosy little corner not in the line of fire, unless they move some of their guns.

We do miss our morning's post. No papers now. I wonder what folks down below are hearing of us, all kinds of rumours I expect. Things are looking more like a siege now, provisions scarce, butchers and hotels closing, not a single store, they say, will be opened tomorrow. All the stores have been commandeered by the Imperial Government. No business is being done at all and during the day you see no one but Military men in the streets, everyone else is afraid of a shell landing on them.

We went to Church this evening. There were only six civilians counting women and children, and a goodly number of volunteers. We had a hymn on printed forms called Natalia's Prayer, which alone was worth going to hear, sung so heartily by those men. It was a service without music. A great many women and children have left Ladysmith, and some have surprised us. They said they would never leave. Mrs. Bemen and Beulah and Mrs. Brooke and her daughters. They, I thought, would remain if we all left. Mrs. Dr. Anderson has gone and Mrs. Valentine and Mrs. Moller, also Mrs. Cox, Mrs. Kneller, the Donaldsons, Mr. Mrs. and Miss Carter, the Christophers, Murrays and ever so many more.

Shells have gone through the Carters and Murray's houses since they left.
Dr David Biggins

November 5th 7 years 6 months ago #49507

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1899 - From the letters writer by Lt Col Park in Ladysmith

Nothing much has happened the last two days. There has been very little firing and no news. We have been working hard, day and night, strengthening posts, building walls and places for guns; and now today we have been sent a lot of railway iron and sleepers, and have spent most of the day building shell-proof shelters for all the companies in case of heavy bombardment, which is expected to begin tomorrow. We have had to strike all the camp as it attracted attention - and shells - and we live in bivouac, and last night there was a heavy thunderstorm which soaked everyone to the skin, and wasn’t quite comfortable. We tried to eat dinner in the open, and in the middle of it, hiding our biscuit and stuff under waterproofs and having a hasty chew at it at intervals.

There will be two field guns in positions above the bivouac by tomorrow morning and two 6-inch howitzers further on, so we can now reply to the Boer’s fire. I hope this state of things won’t last much longer. It is very demoralising to the men. I even feel it myself, and the constant strain and anxiety is wearing. I am so sleepy I can’t keep my eyes open, and must have an hour’s nap.
Dr David Biggins

November 5th 7 years 6 months ago #49511

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
This is the Sergeant Mapstone referred to in Tpr Crosby's diary:
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.908 seconds