TOPIC:

February 4th 12 years 2 months ago #2189

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
1900 - Kimberley siege day 113 (91%). Ladysmith siege day 95 (79%). Mafeking siege day 115 (52%).

In Kimberley:

A quiet day. Very little movement on the part of the enemy. Troop of mounted men seen riding from East towards Scholtz’s Nek.

At 6 pm there appeared to be another explosion in the direction of the column.

Very slight rain fell this evening. I am afraid not enough to do any good to the Veldt.

The following messages were sent to-day by helio or searchlight:

“From Int KB to Int MD. Feb 3rd No 167. Your I 232 of yesterday. Had suggested to man taking message from Kekewich to Barkly to-night that he should suggest to some his English friends at Barkly should join enemy voluntarily at Scholtz’s Nek and then desert. Have again impressed on dispatch bearer that residence in Boer lines of Loyalists would be of great advantage to relief column. Hope this may result in useful deserter arriving at Mud River. Every item information I have been able to gather points to Boer plan this border being starvation Kimberley. My firm opinion is that even advance in force from Orange river direction Bloemfontein will not shift main body Boers now opposing relief column. Remember Boers occupy position of own choice and are strongly entrenched. Large numbers of their horses are reported dead, and private letters falling into out hands show that large numbers Boer horses have been sent away from Mud River. Question of water would also bother so large a force if Boers retired now unless they stuck to either VAAL or MUD rivers. Questions of supply have also to be considered by them and would require some solving. Further several reports received lately indicate only small quantities supplies remain in Bloemfontein. Supposing British column advances direct on Bloemfontein from Orange River my opinion is Cronje will be satisfied to debush three to four thousand men to harass our convoys attack posts on lines of communication whilst main body Boers will remain here till day failure of supplies necessitates surrender of Kimberley. Defeat of Boers South of Kimberley will in my opinion completely dissolve Cronje’s command, and even if final Boer stand is made at Pretoria not more than twenty-five per cent Boers now between Kimberley and Mud river will be amongst besieged there. Kekewich has authorised me to state above opinion agrees with that formed by him.”

“From Kekewich to Genl Methuen. Feb 4 No 168. Last para yours Feb 3 referring to my 158 last message received partly in Playfair cipher not addressed me was Feb 1. Directors De Beers to Rhodes. Contents harmless but matter referred to use code contrary instructions received.”

“From Int KB to Int MD. Feb 4 No 169.Yesterday’s news, enemy sniping our cattle guards West South West town. Enemy also sniping picquet over Coolie gardens Wesselton. Enemy’s guns fired few shells at Premier Mine, Otto’s Kopje, village Keniworth, town Kimberley. No casualties no damage.”

“From Int KB To Int MD. Feb 4 No 170. Yesterday afternoon Boer orderlies observed galloping to Scholtz Nek from Susanna, Wimbledon, etc reason not transpired here. Since siege commenced usual on Saturday afternoons to see bodied Boers riding from South to Intermediate Pumping Station where apparently Sunday Service held as always large gathering observed here church time. No such movement yesterday and no gathering observed North Kimberley to-day.”

I am spending over £200 weekly for vegetables for the garrison. They are most difficult to get, but it is absolutely necessary to give all a small ration of them twice a week, and so prevent scurvy getting worse. I trust it has been now really checked.

In Ladysmith:

The sun shone. Women and children went up and down the street. I even saw two white-petticoated girls climbing the rocks of Cove Redoubt to get a peep at "Princess Victoria"—otherwise "Bloody Mary." It was a day of peace, but every one believes it to be the last. To-night an attack is confidently expected. The Boers are concentrating on the north-west. A new gun was seen yesterday moving towards Thornhill's Kopje, and sounds of building with stones were heard there last night. It is thought the attack will be upon the line from Observation Hill to Range Post. Every available man is warned. Even the military prisoners are released and sent on duty again. The pickets are doubled and pushed far out. A code of signals by rocket has been arranged to inform Buller of what is going on. It is felt that this is the enemy's last chance of doing so big a thing as capturing this garrison.

But all that is still uncertain, and in the quiet afternoon I harnessed up my cart for a gentle drive with Sergeant-Gunner Boseley, of the 53rd Battery. He is a red Irishman, born at Maidstone, and has done eleven years' service. During the attack on the 6th he was sitting beside his gun waiting for Major Abdy's word to fire in his turn, when a 96lb. shell from "Bulwan" struck him in its flight, and shattered his left arm and leg. He says he was knocked silly, and felt a bit fluttered, but had no pain till they lifted him into the dhoolie. He broke the record, I believe, by surviving a double amputation on the same side, which left him only about 6 in. of thigh and 4 in. of arm. For every movement he is helpless as a log. Four of us hoisted him into the cart, and then we drove round to see his old battery, where the greetings of his mates were brief, emphatic, and devoid of all romance. We then went up to the tin camp, and round the main positions, which he regarded with silent equanimity. I thought he was bored by the familiar scene, but at the end he told me he had enjoyed it immensely, never having seen Ladysmith by daylight before! The man is now in magnificent health, rosy as a rose, and no doubt has a great career before him as a wonder from the war.

In Mafeking:

The usual quiet day. At Fort Ayr, while cleaning the Maxim, it was accidentally discharged, and the Boers promptly answered, so Mr. Greenfield, in charge of the post, strolled out to explain matters, and was met half way by the Boer representatives, who talked to him for a bit, gave him the latest news (presumably untrue), exchanged little harmless chaff, and agreed to swap newspapers for whisky. The newspapers, needless to say, contained flaming accounts of universal Boer victories, which, here, one finds it somewhat hard to credit, and they agreed to furnish similar papers next Sunday. It is curious to see in the advertisement sheets advertisements from manufacturers, stating themselves to be manufacturers to Her Majesty the Queen, to read the London letter, and a column of society chit-chat in a paper published in the capital of our enemy. However, it is an odd world.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

February 4th 8 years 2 months ago #45122

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From the diary of William Watson, Ladysmith, February 1900:

Sunday, all quiet. — For a long time, the rations have been very nasty, and very scanty. Now, we have only three or four hard ships’ biscuits, and some black tea, to live on, for we don’t care to eat old ket. — I have an idea the rebel power will suddenly collapse when we least expect it. It is not the ability to crush the rebels, which our chiefs lack, it is the will to do so. — I don’t believe there is any need to feed us on carrion. The troops have immense stores of all sorts, and large herds of cattle. It is only done to mislead the enemy as to the acu- tal condition of the garrison. Of course the military chiefs, care only for their own men. The townsfolk they only rob for the benefit of the army. Provisions belonging to private individuals, are now being seized or requisitioned. — Some people of the town accused of being in possession of property belonging to the army. One man was fined £30. His son got six months hard labour. Another man got two years. Another man got one year, for discouraging the soldiers. This last is a newly invented crime. — A few shells this afternoon. — If Buller wanted to relieve this place, he could have done so any time during the last two months, by sending part of his army up here, and giving battle to the rebels. — It is said, the English prisoners at Pretoria have been shipped to England, via Delagoa Bay, because food is running short in the republic. That’s pleasing, if true. — Ladysmith is to be relieved within a week, O yes! — People who have eaten the old horse, say it is very good. May be so. Stick to it, I say. — As there is no more food for the horses, they are now turned out into the veldt, and will probably be swept off by the rebels. Then we shall have about five regiments of dismounted dragoons. A horse soldier, without his horse, is a useless creature. — Town guard ordered to muster in full force, as an attack on the town is expected to night. If we can give them a bloody repulse, like they had on the 6th of January, perhaps they will go away.
Dr David Biggins

February 4th 7 years 2 months ago #51763

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

Had mustard plaster on for an hour thoroughly blistering me, but gave little relief. Terrifically hot. No shade or shelter outside the tents. Passed a better night.
Dr David Biggins

February 4th 7 years 2 months ago #51764

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

Very tired tonight and I feel low and rather miserable. Wilfrid, I am afraid, is in for enteric. Poor boy, what a sufferer he has been since he came to Ladysmith. The climate has never agreed with him and now for this to come upon him, and he has no strength and Mama will be so anxious. I am afraid it will throw her back. When is Buller coming?
Today we had horse flesh served out. I could not touch it for dinner. Nurse Bradbury told me I missed a treat as it was tender and tasty. I dare say I will come to it in time. Poor little Dr. Currie has had to give in at last. I hope he will not be seriously ill. He only gave in this afternoon. He was here this morning. He laid down on 'Willie’s bed in Wilfrid's room and had a long sleep, but this afternoon his temperature was up again, and he has gone up to Gorman's house, which has been turned into a sort of a Convalescent Home. There is an idea around that we are going to have a night attack, or at any rate a hard day tomorrow. We shall see what we shall see.
Dr David Biggins

February 4th 6 years 2 months ago #57527

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Major George Tatham, Natal Carbineers

Perfect weather. All quiet. Inspection of outposts, etc., also pointed out to Peddie where wood was to be cut. Visited outposts after dark as a special precaution, heard that we were to have an attack from the Boers.
Dr David Biggins

February 4th 2 years 2 months ago #81373

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - Diary of the siege of Mafeking by Edward Ross

Sunday, 4 February

All last night, and up to about 4 a.m. this morning, the enemy kept up an almost continuous fusillade of Mauser volleys. We think the cause must be some of our runners endeavouring to get in. At any rate, the Boers have been a bit worried and have been kept awake all night.

This morning about breakfast-time both the enemy and our outposts were heard firing at one another; and when it was found some misunderstanding had taken place, Lieutenant Greenfield went out with a white flag and the usual two or three packets of cigarettes and mutual apologies were exchanged. The Boers were quite friendly to Greenfield, stood him a whisky and shewed him the S. and D.’s News of January 26th. He brought back news of a late big engagement in Natal, in which it is supposed we lost 3 000 killed and wounded. But no other news as to result, etc. Last news we had was that Buller had been ordered to relieve Ladysmith at any cost, so presumably this rumoured battle is the outcome of that order.

Last night three native runners were sent out, two by the staff, one north and one south; these two managed to get through, but the other one, sent privately by Hamilton, was fired on by the Boers and promptly threw away all his stuff and returned to camp.

This afternoon an excellent football match was played between teams of the once invincible C.P. and the P.R., the latter winning by one goal to nil.

After the above, the judging of the local made dummies was made by Major Panzera, who awarded the first prize to one made at Tighe’s redoubt by a German. It was indeed an excellent ruse, mechanically shaking its head, waving a red flag, and putting a pair of imitation opera-glasses up and down to its eyes. Even at a short distance from the trenches it would deceive anyone.

There is a native rumour going the rounds of our men having had a big fight at the Vaal river, but no details can be got at. As the natives have always had the news long before we have, there may be something in it; at the same time, if the news we had of Methuen still being at Modder River on January 16th be true, it can hardly be possible that this column is so far advanced and would more likely be the Gatacre/French columns, moving up north of the Colony.

Our great and only Lt. seems to be getting into trouble all round, what with cheques to hospitals on account of tailors, two rounds in a dust-bin with a burly gentleman of telephone fame, threats of arrest for "drunk" by Town Guard sentries, touches of alcoholic fever, etc., etc., "My friend the Prince” will have some very nice reminiscences to hear when the great sportsman and gentleman jockey returns to his aristocratic pals. He has a nice name here. P. to the 3 F. Hostelry.

Owing to the De Kock affair, a notice has been issued by B.P. and posted up at Dixon’s for the information of those who don’t understand the meaning of martial law. It states the interpretation of the latter is, purely and simply, that all civil law is set aside and the district now governed by "the will of the commanding officer”.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: QSAMIKE, Moranthorse1, Gustavo Alvarez

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.389 seconds