TOPIC:

March 4th 12 years 1 month ago #2436

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
1900 - Mafeking siege day 143 (65%).
1901 - Plumer in action with Fourie and Brand at Zuurfontein.

In Mafeking:

This morning at daybreak the Boers were still working, so we gave them a volley at forty yards and are believed to have shot four. Sniping continued all day, and later on we killed another. From this quarter the Boers, who were evidently very cross, sniped viciously all day. I walked up with Captain Williams, whose turn it is now for duty in the brickfields, and personally I consider it a most undesirable place of residence. The big gun has disappeared. We are all glad to hear that our old friend Cronje is in a tight place; from all accounts he will trouble us no more.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

March 4th 7 years 1 month ago #52397

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

Grand combined Church Parade this morning. I believe it was a grand sight. Six clergymen took part. We were not able to get there in time, too big a houseful to look after. Bert seems worse today. I sent for Major Bateson to come to see him he was so feverish. He didn't get down until late. I think it is a low fever and he is thoroughly run down. We are now living in clover. It seems like a dream that we have ever had to sit down to a meal of dry mealy meal bread and tea with very little sugar and no milk, for we have had three cartloads of provisions here this morning with everything that the heart could desire, both for sick and well, even scents and toilet soaps. Uncle Joe, Mr. Jameson, Glen and Mr. Stiebel all left in a spring cart for Colenso hoping to catch the 7 train. I am very sorry, more that I can express. Wilfrid's temperature was up again when the doctor came this evening, poor fellow, he is desponding. He says he thinks it is never going down. He looks so weak and wan.

I went to Service this evening, a Thanksgiving one. It was very impressive and the way the congregation sang "God Save the Queen" alone was worth going for.
Dr David Biggins

March 4th 7 years 1 month ago #52398

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

A most impressive Thanksgiving Service was held at 7.30 near the Convent, both Generals being present. In the afternoon Doctor and I visited Surprise Hill, and Dutch laager in rear. The latter was in a frightful state, the stench was almost unbearable, there being every evidence of their having lived well. Liquor they must have had in abundance by the number of empty bottles lying about, all of which I expect, had been looted. We were compensated for the climb up Surprise Hill in finding two 45 lb. shells which we, with difficulty, brought back. They have a special value as this gun was blown up by the Rifle Brigade, unfortunately at a great cost of life.
Dr David Biggins

March 4th 7 years 1 month ago #52440

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
It is very interesting indeed to read of the "stench" it is something that is only very seldom mentioned when the aftermath of a battle is spoken of, little has changed, it has certainly endured the passage of time.

djb wrote: 1900 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

A most impressive Thanksgiving Service was held at 7.30 near the Convent, both Generals being present. In the afternoon Doctor and I visited Surprise Hill, and Dutch laager in rear. The latter was in a frightful state, the stench was almost unbearable, there being every evidence of their having lived well. Liquor they must have had in abundance by the number of empty bottles lying about, all of which I expect, had been looted. We were compensated for the climb up Surprise Hill in finding two 45 lb. shells which we, with difficulty, brought back. They have a special value as this gun was blown up by the Rifle Brigade, unfortunately at a great cost of life.

March 4th 2 years 1 month ago #81912

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - Diary of the siege of Mafeking by Edward Ross

Sunday, 4 March

Of course this morning everybody got up early for the purpose of trying to locate the lost big gun, but even with all the glasses in the town searching round she could not be spotted. Nor right up to sundown with look-outs all posted, could she be found. It is an even money chance whether she has gone to Jackal’s Tree or back to her old position on the east front. The latter for choice of betting.

Had a good big auction sale during the morning, and arranged to take some pictures during the afternoon. The latter did not turn out quite as pleasant as might be expected. I was rather anxious to obtain a good negative of our Nordenfeldt in her emplacement at the extreme end of one of the eastern trenches, and for this purpose went up the rise of the hill towards Cannon Kopje and then cut across the open ground direct east towards the trench, distant about f of a mile. After I had gone about two thirds of the way, carrying my Ruby camera on its tripod across my shoulder, I suddenly heard ping, pish just over my head and I knew that a Mauser bullet had passed uncommonly close to me. Knowing the Boers and Cape Boys had been sniping one another all the morning, I thought for the moment that it was a ricochet, but my illusion was very soon dispelled by another ping pissock just on my right. Looking down on the Boer trenches, a broad open view from the height I was on, it suddenly struck me what a grand mark I was, dressed all in white and standing out so distinctly on the skyline, and that I and my camera were being deliberately potted at. However, as I intended taking a photo of that Nordenfeldt on I went, only hearing one more bullet whizz before getting up to and down into the trench. The worst, however, was to come. Having left part of my paraphernalia close to the Kopje, I was compelled to go back the same way, and no sooner had I got out of the trench and started homewards, than these low mean cads, taking advantage of Sunday and our not returning their fire, recommenced sniping me, and continued it until I got down the ridge and out of sight. They commenced shooting at about 1 200 yards and fired about 30, or say at the very least 25 rounds, and never went nearer to me than five yards although one or two going very close over my head, showing a good line. These Boers have been sniping round here now for five months and know the exact range of almost every stone in the veldt, and yet they could not hit me. Where does their great shooting come in? However, I will show their rifles (not them) this respect, that I shall not give them a second opportunity of laying down, resting their barrels on stones, and quietly enjoying themselves potting at me on the sky line. If one is out sniping and exchanging compliments per bullet with Mr. Boer, well and good, but to be quietly shot at, on Sunday, the day supposed to be recognised for cessation of hostilities, and without the slightest possibility of returning it, is, to say the least of it, slightly irritating.

Some more runners arrived in this morning again confirming the news re Kimberley, etc., so that we can rest assured now, I suppose, that these are facts; although once before, in December last, it was officially given out from the staff that Kimberley was relieved and a flying column had left for Mafeking. I am anything but a pessimist, in fact just the opposite as I have got into no end of heated arguments through sticking up for the British army, but still I would much prefer to see something a little more tangible than printed or typewritten notices.

Cricket match today, P.R. versus B.S.A.P., won easily by the former.

Both the Boers and ourselves have been sharpshooting nearly all day, and it has been reported from the brickfields that no less than four of the enemy have been bowled, whilst we have had one of our Cape Boys seriously wounded. I hope to goodness that one of the four we knocked over was the johnny who sniped me this afternoon.

The following conversation occurred today:

Me: Mrs. W., may we ask you to help us out of a little difficulty?

Mrs. W: Certainly, what can I do for you?

Me: Well the fact is, the piece of meat we got for rations yesterday is so tough we can hardly cut it, let alone masticate it, and having some curry powder we thought, you know, we might make a little curry.

Mrs. W: Very good idea Mr. R., well, you first cut your meat very small, and put it in your saucepan with a little water and some onions.

Me; Please stop, onions are not to be had for love or money, and we have only got a three-legged pot.

Mrs. Weil Oh well, never mind those, then you take a table-spoon full of curry and two table-spoons of flour ...

Me: Oh stop, stop, stop, flour did you say? Do you think I am the D.A.A.G.? Flour indeed. Oh well, please don’t ever mention curry to me again.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: QSAMIKE

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.401 seconds