Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Lance Corporal James Ferguson, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders 7 years 7 months ago #48598

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2304
The plaque, c.14 inches in height, was originally in the main hall of Kinross High School; the school has relocated to the purpose-built Loch Leven Community Campus, which also contains Kinross Library. Kinross was the county town of Kinross-shire, Scotland, until 1974, but is now in the administrative county of Perth and Kinross. This may be the only ABW memorial, other than headstone inscriptions, in Kinross-shire.

Does anyone have a photo of James Ferguson's grave or gravestone?

My thanks to Gerry McGregor, of Kinross High School; she very kindly showed James Ferguson's memorial plaque to me, and also some other memorial treasures at the school.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Brett Hendey, Elmarie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lance Corporal James Ferguson, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders 7 years 7 months ago #48631

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
How did you ever find that?
Dr David Biggins

Lance Corporal James Ferguson, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders 7 years 7 months ago #48634

• BereniceUK
I found it listed online at The Scottish War Memorials Project, and went up to Kinross to take my own photograph. The internet's a wonderful thing sometimes!

Lance Corporal James Ferguson, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders 6 years 8 months ago #55239

• Elmarie
  • Thank you received: 950
Berenice

His name appears on the British Memorial in West End Cemetery, Kimberley. On the CWGC list are his initials JD Ferguson.

Elmarie Malherbe
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Lance Corporal James Ferguson, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders 3 years 4 months ago #73891

• BereniceUK
My sincere thanks to a volunteer at Kinross Museum for sending me some further information on James and his father, Donald.

"In memoriam – In loving memory of Lance Corporal James Ferguson, 1st Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, who died at Middle* River, South Africa, on 13 December 1899, from wounds received at the battle of Magersfontein on 11 December."
Kinross-shire Advertiser, 14th December 1907 *Middle River should read Modder River

DEATH OF NATIVE AND MILITARY VETERAN.
....Colour Sergeant Donald Ferguson, late 71st H.L.I., died with startling suddenness in a Glasgow Nursing Home on Sunday. He had been operated upon for some trouble about his throat to which he succumbed. Sergeant Donald Ferguson was the son of the late Mr John Ferguson, Logierait, and was born close to the Logierait Parish Church, in the ancient town of Logierait, about 69 years ago. In his youth he was engaged as a teller's apprentice, being employed at Balnamuir for several months, but having a distinct distaste for tailoring he determined on joining the army, and at the age of 16 years he enlisted, giving his age at 18, in 71st H.L.I. in which regiment he served for 23 years. Shortly after enlistment he was sent to India where he arrived at the close of the great mutiny, and it was on Indian soil that he first heard the roar of cannon in battle. For eight years he was stationed in India, and held medals for several engagements in which he took a prominent part and then held the rank of Lance Corporal. On his return home his regiment was stationed at Edinburgh for one year and at Aldershot and Fermoy, Ireland, for about a year at each place, which was the only period of his engagement on home service, being 20 years on foreign soil. For several years he was stationed at Gibraltar and Malta and on his retirement he held the rank of Colour-Sergeant. It being found out that Ferguson was under age on enlistment he had to serve full time in the regular service to qualify for pension. On leaving the regular he was appointed Volunteer Sergeant Instructor of the 7th Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders in Kinross, which post he held for over 16 years, being forced to retire when he attained the age limit. He was classed as the "Model Instructor" and displayed special tact in training the men under his charge to be thoroughly proficient in every section of drill and military tactics as well as proving an able guide for the attainment of good markmanship amongst his Company members at the ranges. He was extremely popular both in the regular and volunteer forces and on his retirement he was presented with a gold watch and chain suitably inscribed, besides other valuables as a token of the high esteem in which he was held not only in military life, but as a general favourite in the town of Kinross. He held several appointments, being Sheriff Officer, Honorary Secretary to the Kinross Curling Club, and a very keen and enthusiastic lover of the roarin' game, and as Secretary and Treasurer of the Kinross Highland Games, which is now one of the leading Highland gatherings of Scotland. He retained a love for the maintenance of all classes of athletic exercises. His good Celtic spirit was always admired, and he carried a fine military gait up to the last. Annually he visited his native heath, and his many friends and acquaintances throughout Mid-Atholl and Strathtay will deeply regret to learn of his death. The military spirit is not lacking in his family. His son James enlisted in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, and was killed at Magersfontein, where all Highland regiments suffered so heavily. Alfred Donald, another son, is now Colour-Sergeant in the 71st H.L. Infantry stationed at Dum dum in India (this being the same regiment in which his father served for 23 years). He is survived by a widow and three sons and three daughters, all grown up, to mourn his loss.
Perthshire Advertiser, 13h January 1909

A second version of Donald's death appears in Nan Walker's 1988 publication, 'A History of the Kinross-shire Volunteers' - ”In January 1909 Colour Sergeant Donald Ferguson who had been drill sergeant in Kinross since 1883 was transferred to Inveraray. He died a few days later and his body was returned to Kinross for burial in the Kirkgate cemetery.”
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elmarie

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.577 seconds