Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Volunteer Service Company, East Yorkshire Regiment 1 year 8 months ago #85184

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2304
In Beverley Minster, East Yorkshire.

7048 Private Herbert Hebb, 2nd East Yorkshire Regiment. Died of disease at Senekal, on 22nd June 1900

Private William Holmes, 2nd East Yorkshire Regiment. Died of disease at Bloemfontein, on 5th June 1900

7055 Private John James Williamson, 2nd East Yorkshire Regiment. Died of disease at De Aar, on 3rd December 1900

Major Francis Richard MacMullen, 2nd Wiltshire Regiment. Died on 15th February 1900, of wounds received in action at Rensburg

SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF
..........................................................................PRIVATE HERBERT HEBB
B. COMPANY LEVEN
..........................................................................PRIVATE WILLIAM HOLMES
A. COMPANY HOWDEN
..........................................................................PRIVATE JOHN JAMES WILLIAMSON
C. COMPANY BEVERLEY
..........................................................................OF THE VOLUNTEER SERVICE COMPANY OF
..........................................................................THE EAST YORKSHIRE REGIMENT, WHO DIED
..........................................................................IN SOUTH AFRICA WHILE SERVING WITH THE
..........................................................................ARMY IN THE BOER WAR OF 1899 TO 1901
..........................................................................THIS MEMORIAL IS PLACED HERE BY THEIR
..........................................................................COMRADES THE OFFICERS PAST AND PRESENT
..........................................................................THE NON COMMISSIONED OFFICERS AND MEN
..........................................................................OF THE 2 ND VOLUNTEER BATTALION THE EAST
..........................................................................YORKSHIRE REGIMENT TO WHICH THEY BELONGED
..........................................................................ALSO TO THE MEMORY OF MAJOR FRANCIS R.
..........................................................................MACMULLEN THE WILTSHIRE REGIMENT WHO
..........................................................................DIED AT RENSBURG CAPE COLONY ON THE 15 TH
..........................................................................FEBRUARY 1900 OF WOUNDS RECEIVED IN
..........................................................................ACTION. HE WAS FOR NEARLY FIVE YEARS
..........................................................................PREVIOUS TO HIS DEPARTURE FOR THE SEAT
..........................................................................OF WAR ADJUTANT OF THE 2 ND VOLUNTEER
..........................................................................BATTALION THE EAST YORKSHIRE REGIMENT.
....In the casualty list, published this morning, appears the death of Private H. Hebb. Volunteer Service Company, East Yorkshire Regiment, from enteric fever, at Winburg. Deceased was the son of Mr John Hebb, Leven, and was a tailor.
Hull Daily Mail, Friday 29th June, 1900

Herbert Hebb is remembered in Holy Trinity Church, Leven, East Yorkshire; the one time I went to Leven the church wasn't open to visitors.

....The list of casualties in the papers on Saturday contained the name of Private Holmes, who died of fever at Bloemfontein. He was the son of Mr T. W. Holmes, Eastrington, and one of the most soldierly young men in the Howden corps.
Hull Daily Mail, Monday 11th June 1900

William Holmes is remembered on a memorial tablet in St Michael's Church, Eastrington, East Yorkshire, and on the Howden Company's roll of honour in Howden Minster.
www.angloboerwar.com/forum/17-memorials-...-died-5-6-1900#62016
www.angloboerwar.com/forum/17-memorials-...shire-regiment#61905

BEVERLEY VOLUNTEER'S DEATH AT DE AAR.
In the list of casualties published this morning, appear the name of 7055 Private J. Williamson, Volunteer Company, "West" Yorkshire Regiment, who is reported to have died of enteric fever at De Aar. The "West" Yorks. should undoubtedly read East Yorks., as both the name and number apply to Private J. Williamson, of the Beverley contingent, who was reported dangerously ill in Tuesday's list.
Hull Daily Mail, Thursday 3rd March 1901

The names of Hebb, Holmes and Williamson are all on the East Yorkshire Regiment memorial in Beverley Minster, although Hebb's name is given as "H. Webb."

....The report of the death of Captain Macmullen has been received in Beverley with many expressions of regret. Captain Macmullen, when adjutant of the volunteers in Beverley, was very popular.
Hull Daily Mail, Thursday 22nd February, 1900

CHIVALROUS ACT OF A BOER GENERAL.
....Mrs. Macmullen, whose husband, Major Macmullen, was mortally wounded in a skirmish south of Rensburg Station, on February 14, has received from the Boer general, C. Weiss, a most courteous letter, from which the following passages are taken—
Colesberg, O.V.S., February 15, 1900.......
....Madam,— I presume you will be informed ere this by your War Office that your husband, Major Macmullen, was mortally wounded yesterday in a skirmish south of Rensberg Station, and that he succumbed last night. This morning, private papers, &c., belonging to the deceased were brought to me, and in going through them I found two open letters addressed to the Rev. Father Norris and yourself . . . which I have the honour to forward you at once from here, as they contain the last greetings of the deceased to you and to his family. The rest of the papers, cheque book, &c. . . . the watch and £8 10s in gold were handed over by your husband to one of our officials visiting the battlefield, and a receipt given for them, which I enclose. All these things you will be able to recive back after the war is over. . . . Allow me to express my deepest sympathy at the loss you and your family have sustained. . . . As becomes a Christian people, we are trying to act like Christians towards our neighbours who call themselves our enemies.. . . . We are trying to make those of your countrymen who are wounded . . . as comfortable as circumstances permit.. . . . May God bless and console you and the many widows and orphans in your as well as our land. . . . Lieutenants Prior and Thornton will be able to give you later (they are now prisoners) full particulars of Major Macmullen's death.— I have the honour to be, Madam, your obedient servant,
C. WEISS.......
The Liverpool Mercury, Thursday 24th May 1900

Francis Macmullen is also remembered on the Wiltshire Regiment's memorial plaque in Salisbury Cathedral, Wiltshire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elmarie, Neville_C, Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.671 seconds