TOPIC:

Ston Easton Tribute Medal 3 years 8 months ago #71050

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4531

Picture courtesy of DNW

Ston Easton Tribute Medal 1902, silver, 56x58mm. excluding loose ring, on a circular disc superimposed on an eight-pointed star, four points of which have a ball finial, a legend engraved in eight lines: ‘Presented to Albert Brown on his safe return from South Africa by the Parishioners Ston Easton August 18th 1902,’ the four main points of the star are engraved to represent rays of light; rev: plain except for hallmark at base for Birmingham 1902 and maker’s initials ‘M&B’, small ring for suspension, very fine and possibly unique. Ref. Hibbard A 24, this medal illustrated, the only known example.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ston Easton Tribute Medal 3 years 8 months ago #71190

• BerkshireT
  • Thank you received: 9
Hi DJB, My first thoughts were a American Western sheriff badge design and as you say very unusual so I had to have a quick look. Easton, Huntingdon appears to be a small hamlet with a local church of St Peters - between Kettering and Cambridge. Albert Brown gives seven likely contenders and we know he was Second contingent from his return date (assuming he did not stay out there from 1st contingent). The second contingent were recruited geographically and sent to Aldershot where they were assigned to the next company which was being formed. So the companies which left Aldershot were not related to the traditional recruiting areas of their men's home county. There was some form of preference but as all Yeomanry were going through Aldershot Garrison the IY were fudged into the next Company being formed and sent out on the next available ship. Little training was given to the IY in Britain as Kitchener ordered that this would happen once deployed. 2nd Contingent started to form on 24th January 1901 and by Middle of February had enlisted 16, 400 men. Once arrived they didn't even enjoy the luxury of Mateland Camp and 6 weeks acclimatisation which the 1st contingent were afforded. As I understand it there was a brief handover and then they were quickly transported inland. So many had not had a chance to fire their guns let alone zero the sights?

Brown, A.    29500, Private    100th Coy., 5th Bn. I.Y. (Northumberland)
Brown, A.    22520, Trooper    4th Coy., 1st Bn. I.Y. (Glamorganshire)
Brown, A.J.    15936, Private    Imperial Yeomanry - I would need to look at service papers
Brown, Albert    3472, Private    12th Coy., 3rd Bn. I.Y. (South Nottingham)
Brown, Albert    24718, Private    M.G. Section, 11th Bn. I.Y.
Brown, Albert    32010, Trooper    12th Coy., 3rd Bn. I.Y. (South Nottingham)
Brown, Albert Ernest    2477, L/Corporal    48th Coy., 7th Bn. I.Y. (North Somerset)
I'm sure your way ahead of us but have you proved which he was yet? I respect you likely have searched the service papers and would be pleased to know more about Albert Brown and who he served with

Wayne

Ston Easton Tribute Medal 2 years 8 months ago #77986

• Neville_C
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1992
Ston Easton is in Somerset.

This medal was presented to:

2nd Bn. Somerset Light Infantry (Reservist) –
2890 Private ALBERT BROWN

SEE: STON EASTON TRIBUTE MEDAL

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.407 seconds