Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

QSA to Corps of Cattle Rangers. 9 years 7 months ago #22575

• LinneyI
  • LinneyI's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1541
Recently added to the collection was an interesting grouping attributed to G.SAYER:
(1) NW CANADA - no bar, unnamed as issued
(2) QSA bars CC/OFS/TV/01/02 impressed to "5 Ranger G.Sayer. Corps of C.R."
(3) Privately purchased memorial plaque.

For yours truly, the drawcard was the QSA; however the NW Canada also intrigued. Recourse was then had to the NWC roll (Spink, 1975) and here was found Gerald SAYER (no ranking) as a member of French's Scouts and entitled to the medal without clasp. My count of the roll numbers the Scouts as 29 entitlements; more than half with clasp "Saskatchewan".
Some difficulty was anticipated in researching the CofCR. It was, however, easier than thought. A quick Google search found a recent local booklet titled "The Corps of Cattle Rangers" by L/Col. N.Smith (ISBN 1 876179 75 9) and therein lay an outline of the Corps. Officially formed to protect and give safe conduct to captured or commandeered Boer stock, the Corps was mainly formed around Pretoria in April 1901.
Gerald SAYER was initially numbered "D5" (D meaning Durban enlistment), 39 YoA, and is listed as hailing from Pretoria confusingly enlisted there on 15041901. He contracted the scourge of the Field Army, enteric, and died at Pretoria on 17021902. It is presumed that a family member made the purchase of the Memorial plaque: IN MEMORIAM.
The trail did not quite end there. A search on Ancestry.com uncovered a rather more detailed roll of the CofCR - Gerald SAYER was there found to have been 6'1" in height, of fair complexion, had a scar on left cheek and his NoK was his wife, Mrs. E,Sayer of 167 Boom St., PMB. I was also informed of his rifle and carbine number (why issued with both?) and his bandolier number and also the fact that he was issued with 50 rounds of ammunition. All of this issue kit made on 22041901.
In conclusion, the CofCR was not a Corps with a glittering record. Lack of discipline and fraud did occur and many members were discharged for a variety of members. The main bulk, however, performed well in denying the Boers their "field commissariat".
Thanks to all who have read this far.
IL.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSA to Corps of Cattle Rangers. 9 years 7 months ago #22576

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Very nice Ian, the QSA and all clasps were issued from WO100/241, there is a note on the particular page regarding his death too,
Regards Frank

QSA to Corps of Cattle Rangers. 9 years 7 months ago #22577

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Hello Ian,
A very nice acquisition to your collection, congratulations.

Paul :)
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

QSA to Corps of Cattle Rangers. 9 years 7 months ago #22586

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Ian

A very good pair of medals in an unusual combination. Thank you for showing it.

Regards
Brett

QSA to Corps of Cattle Rangers. 9 years 7 months ago #22599

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
Ian,

you don't see many medals to the Cattle Rangers so I was very interested to see the naming. The combination with the NW Canada medal is excellent too.

Many thanks for your post
David
Dr David Biggins

QSA to Corps of Cattle Rangers. 9 years 7 months ago #22681

• crypt
  • Thank you received: 180
Ian

Thanks for showing this, it is surprising that although there are over 400 names on the nominal roll for the Corps of Cattle Rangers it is the first time I have seen a medal named to the unit. Granted quite a few members seemed to have been discharged due to poor discipline and therefore forfeited a medal, but there must have been many who were issued.

I have one named to a Cpl LA Turpin Roberts Horse who was POW at Sannahs Post and after his release in Pretoria he joined the C of CR, I also have a unique Defence of Kimberely named to a Cattle Ranger E.F. Sheppy A.S.C., however there is a reference to him on the C of Cattle Rangers Supplementary roll with a note in brackets (see page 76 Vol 5 A.S.C.) Not been able to find this reference.

Nice combination with a non African campaign medal, not often seen here.

Jon

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.761 seconds