Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

From Cpl., BSAP to Captain, Mounted Infantry. 9 years 6 months ago #23219

• LinneyI
  • LinneyI's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1540
In the late Victorian era, examples of promotion from NCO to Commissioned rank in a Line Regiment were not all that common - and can tell an ionteresting story; herewith is a favourite example I have recently ben researching -
(1) BSAC medal ("Mashonaland 1897" rev) engraved to "301 Corpl. W.H.FOSTER B.S.A.P."
(2) QSA bars CC/OFS/Tv impressed to "Lieut.W.HAIRE-FORSTER Rl.IRISH Fus."
(3) KSA bars 01/02 engraved to "Capt. W.HAIRE-FORSTER Rl.IRISH Fus"

The trio are mounted, swing fashion, on a pin bar and -for those who set store by such - appear to retain the original ribbons. Documentation reveals an extensive and actice ABW career with the MI; including two MIDs - the latter of which refers to a specific action. Having usually drawn a blank in the past when attempting research into the activities of individuals in the MI, all the above was a bonus
At around the tender age of twenty years, one "FOSTER, Wm HAIRE" enlisted in the BSAP and appears in the OWEN BSAC medal roll as entitled to the 1897 medal as "Cpl., BSA POLICE" Note the missing "R" in surname. His Mashonaland service was apparently brief; possibly due to sickness. The official BSAC 1898 report on the 1897 "disturbance" lists those killed/wounded on Company service - but also reveals that sickness was rife; with for example, the whole of the BSAP in the "low lying and unhealthy" Matoko country being struck down with fever.
For whatever reason, William HAIRE-FORSTER was certainly back in England by August 1897; when he applied for and was granted a Commission in the militia (a well known back-door to a military career). He was Gazetted to the Royal Irish Fusiliers as 2nd Lt on 11th August 1897 and his next step was announced in LG of 28th November 1899 - when he was seconded for service with the MI in South Africa with effect 24th October. This was, of course, a time of great trial for the Empire.
It should be noted at this point that William HAIRE-FORSTER's service in SA was entirely with the MI. The medal roll page for4 his QSA (confirming his three bars) includes the terse note "Proceeded on Service with 2 Batt. M.I. Has never served with the Roy. Irish Fus. in the campaign".
The next step in the career of our 2nd Lt. arrived on 1st December 1899; with promotion to Lieutenant after a more senior MI officer had been made captive on 30th October 1899 at Nicholson's Nek. This step was formally Gazetted on 23rd February 1900. His subsequent activities are shown in "War Services of Officers" as follows-
"Ops in the OFS, Feb 1900, ops in the Tvaal, west of Pretoria Sept to Nov 1900, Ops in Cape Colony, South of Orange River 99-00 including actions at Colesburg (3 Jan to 5 Feb), Ops in the TVaal 30 Nov 1900 to Jan 02, March to 31 May 02. Ops in Orange River Colony july to Sept 01, ops in Cape Colony Sept.1901". The entry also refers to his MiDs; one in LG of 10th Sept.1901 and the other in LG of 25th April 1902. The second "mention" actually cites particulars; viz - "For good leading of his company in assault on Smut's Farm, Ermelo District on 23rd October 1901".
A careful reading of his "War Services" entry appears to disclose a gap in activity; i.e., between Feb. and Sept.1900. However an examination of the Shiping Records on this site tels us that William HAIRE-FORSTER of the RIF is shown as a passenger on the transport "Britannic" (sick or wounded) from Cape Town to London on 28th April 1900. The seeming gap in the bio is at least partly explained. Interestingly, his official bio does not mention his active service with the BSAP. Perhaps he intended his entry to reflect only his activity as a Commissioned Officer?
William HAIRE-FORSTER was finally promoted Captain on 13th June 1902 - his new rank reflected on his KSA roll dated 14April 1903. Indeed I suspect that he had been acting in that rank for some time - possibly since the Smut's Farm action had come to notice. All I have been able to find about his later service is an entry for February 1905; relating to 5th Bn., R.I.F. - a Militia or Administrative unit.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

From Cpl., BSAP to Captain, Mounted Infantry. 9 years 6 months ago #23221

• LinneyI
To continue
William HAIRE-FORSTER married a lady some twelve years his junior; Rachel Alice HOUSSEMAYNE DU BOULAY in July of 1912. It is entirely possible that his SA service finally took it's toll - as he died on 22nd November 1913 at The Cottage, Sandy Lane, Charlton Kings aged nearly thirty-eight years. His passing was notified in The Graphic of 29th November 1913; which published a portrait in uniform and managed to get his age wrong by several years.
Apart from a grave stone at Cheltenham Borough Cemetary Gloucestershire and some entries in dusty volumes, Capt. William HAIRE-FORSTER of the MI remains fresh in my mind thanks to the trio of campaign medals lying on the desk next to me as I write. A true Son of the Empire, he more than did his bit, dies far too young and who can say what such a man might have attained in years to come.
Thanks to all who have read so far.
IL.

From Cpl., BSAP to Captain, Mounted Infantry. 9 years 6 months ago #23222

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Ian

A great group of medals to go with a great story, which was well researched and well told. Thank you for sharing with us.

Regards
Brett

From Cpl., BSAP to Captain, Mounted Infantry. 9 years 6 months ago #23256

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Ian,
That is a super trio, which I very much like for the BSA Co medal, those particular ones are actually quite scarce and only seldom turn up these days.
I checked the original roll, but sadly, only his father and their address back home in Ireland is shown, again a really superb group,
Kind regards Frank

Attachments:

From Cpl., BSAP to Captain, Mounted Infantry. 9 years 6 months ago #23270

• LinneyI
Frank
I always liked the combination of BSAC and QSA; especially when the BSAC has the Mashonaland reverse - there being relatively so few issued. However, the ABW MI aspect of the trio most appealed to me. The HAIRE-FORSTER family certainly got around with a favourite search engine revealing members in The Church and the Navy - as well as the Army.
Regards
IL.

From Cpl., BSAP to Captain, Mounted Infantry. 8 years 7 months ago #43364

• Tom
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Attached is another picture of Capt. Haire-Forster, my great uncle, date unknown. Obviously, he is younger in this image- perhaps it was taken when he was first commissioned.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: LinneyI

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.815 seconds