• Page:

TOPIC:

Fred Lord of the S.A.C. 8 years 7 months ago #42763

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2149
Fred Lord

3rd Class Trooper, South African Constabulary – Anglo Boer War

- Queens South Africa Medal with clasps Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal, South Africa 1901 & 1902 to 1115 Tpr. F. Lord, S.A.C.

Fred Lord was born in the civil parish of Hipperholme cum Brighouse in Halifax, Yorkshire on 30 July 1878 the son of John Lord, a Stone Miner, and his wife Pamela, born Seldon.

The 1881 England census tells us that the family were resident at 1 Change View (Lightcliffe) and that, aside from a 2 year old Fred, others in the house were his 1 year old sister Lille and his Aunt, Louisa Seldon.

Ten years later at the time of the 1891 England census the family had moved to 6 Lane Ends Terrace in Lightcliffe and had grown substantially in size. They say that necessity is the mother of invention and, most likely as a result of the financial hardships endured by the Victorian working class, a 12 year old Fred had been put out to work after a rudimentary education and was employed as a Doffer. Sibling Lille (now 11), Ethel (9) and Harry (5) were also in attendance.

Of Fred Lord in the 1901 England census there is nary a trace but this can be accounted for by the fact that he had completed Attestation Papers for 3 years’ service with the South African Constabulary on 6 April of that year (service to date from 31 March 1901). The Articles of Agreement, the first step in the enlistment process, had been completed on 22 February at the Barracks in Halifax.

The forms Lord completed furnish us with valuable insight into the man; now 22 years of age he was feet 4 inches in height, 134 pounds in weight and had a fresh complexion, auburn hair and grey eyes. He was unmarried and reputed to be a Butcher by trade. He claimed to be a fair rider and a good shoot (a prerequisite) but was unable to swim. As was required he provided testimonials from two referees. The first, Joseph Sunderland of 19 Hanson Place, Halifax written on 18 February 1901 read as follows,

“Dear Sir

I have employed Fred Lord, over 6 years and I have always found him honest and straight forward. He has been entrusted with sole management of my business on many occasions and I have always found everything satisfactory.

His general conduct and punctuality has left nothing to be desired.

Yours respectfully etc. etc.”

The second, from Walter Binns of “The Crescent”, Hipper Holme, Halifax and written on 16 February 1901 read thus,

“The Recruiting Officer, Chapel Place

Dear Sir

I have much pleasure in bearing testimony to the good character of Fred Lord, who is seeking a position in South Africa in the Mounted Constabulary. I have known him for several years and have always found him s straight forward, honest and industrious fellow.

Being a Butcher he should have a good knowledge of horsemanship, and he is a good shot. I trust he will be found suitable for the position he is applying for in South Africa.

I am sir etc. etc.”

Armed with such glowing recommendations Lord was assured of the position he sought but what was it all about? Well Great Britain in early 1901 was in the clutches of a war with the Boer Republics of the Orange Free State and the Transvaal in distant South Africa and an appeal had gone out to able-bodied men to join the different arms of the Service to do their bit. The South African Constabulary, newly formed in early 1901 was on the look-out for men and Lord fitted the bill.

Having sailed for South Africa as a 3rd Class Trooper with no. A115, Lord was deployed as a member of “A” Division, Western Transvaal and set about his duties which weren’t merely of a policing nature but required fulfilling the role of an ordinary soldier in the fight against the Boers as well.

His service wasn’t without blemish and, on 4 May 1901, whilst stationed at Fort William, he was found guilty of Refusing to obey an order and fined 5/-. The war ended on 31 May 1902 and Lord and his compatriots eased into a more regular policing role. For his efforts he was awarded the Queens Medal.

On 22 October 1903 he wrote to the O.C., Leydsdorp from Korannafontein Outstation as follows,

“Sir

I respectfully beg that you will accept this my application for three months leave, pending my discharge, leave to date from 1 January 1904 for the purpose of seeking employment in this country.

I am Sir etc. etc.”

His leave granted Lord would have been unaware of the miniature furore that developed over his request. The Staff Officer in Westminster, London wrote to the O.C. Western Transvaal on 8 April 1904 saying, “Please note that “A” 1115 F. Ford late S.A.C. has applied for a refund of Furlough deposit of £10. Will you please arrange for payment if due. From thirty to forty of your men are awaiting payment.”

The Divisional Commandant, Western Transvaal, Potchefstroom replied in May as follows,

“With reference to attached minutes, please note that my records show A.1115 3/Constable F. Lord (not Ford) as having sailed from England per S.S. “Canada”, 12 March 1901. He had no previous service, was posted to Western Transvaal and attested 31 March 1901, and discharged Time Expired, 30 March 1904.

Your minute is not understood, for although the man’s name is spelt “Ford” yet the No. 1115 is distinctly given, which should have been sufficient to trace the man.

The Inspector General remarks that this is not good staff work, and causes needless labour.

R. Curtis, Lieut. Colonel, Chief Staff Officer.”

After this minor contretemps things quietened down and, despite his stated intention to seek work in South Africa, Lord seems to have set sail for home with a character rating of Very Good and three completed years of service under his belt.

Like so many others who had contributed to the war effort Lord could have disappeared into the very fabric of society but his case was to be different.
As a sad postscript to his story our attention is drawn to the imprisonment at HMP Wakefield of one Fred Lord, born in Halifax, Yorkshire who had been sentenced to 6 months on 2 counts of Bastardy and was due to be released on 23 September 1909. He was 30 years of age, had auburn hair and was 5 feet 5 inches tall. He also had one prior conviction for Debt in the previous year, 1908.

At some point he made his way back to South Africa probably in the hope of starting afresh being joined in this move by his brother Harry. On 5 May 1916 he signed the "Will of One Person" nominating his mother, Mrs John Lord of 8 Glen Terrace, Hipperholme, Yorkshire as his heiress. He also appointed Harry of the Consolidated Main Reef Mine, Johannesburg as his Executor. Lord himself provided his address as Langlaagte near Johannesburg. On 1 July 1916 as the guns opened on the Battle of the Somme Fred Lord breathed his last at the age of 37 years and 11 months. He was resident at 10 Deville Street, Langlaagte at the time and unmarried (possibly a result of his earlier history)

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fred Lord of the S.A.C. 8 years 7 months ago #42765

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
"O" Lord, Rory......

Another piece of fantastic research......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

Fred Lord of the S.A.C. 8 years 7 months ago #42766

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 443
Hi Rory
I concur : you have a knack of digging out remarkable facts about medal recipients!!
Henk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

Fred Lord of the S.A.C. 8 years 7 months ago #42817

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2149
Thanks chaps.

Henk - I would love to get my hands on some of your recipients medals and do a bit of digging. I'm not saying that you haven't researched them fully yourself but, you never know, there might be something that's hidden and can be found!

You are both an inspiration to me.

Regards

Rory

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.607 seconds