Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

A Diamond Fields Artillery man who deserted in WWI - Thomas Blackley 8 years 4 days ago #46392

• Brianc
  • Thank you received: 49
Rory

The vast majority of the DFA had the DOK clasp, it was only a smaller battery/section that went east towards Bloemfontein and the Transvaal. This was pointed out to me by David years ago when I posted my medal on the BMF.

Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A Diamond Fields Artillery man who deserted in WWI - Thomas Blackley 8 years 4 days ago #46393

• Brianc
Rory

On reading my old post, I see mine is a little different, Plumpton had a CC clasp and Transvaal, why no OFS ?

Here is the link on this site to my DFA "rosy cheek" gunner..... angloboerwar.com/forum/2-introductions/9...illery-not-dok#15649

Brian

A Diamond Fields Artillery man who deserted in WWI - Thomas Blackley 8 years 4 days ago #46396

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2151
Hello Brian

There is this reference to a P. Plumpton of the SAC in the Free State Archives - I wonder if it's not your man?

DEPOT VAB
SOURCE FSP
TYPE LEER
VOLUME_NO 225
SYSTEM 03
REFERENCE 4816
PART 1
DESCRIPTION RECORD OF CONDUCT AND SERVICE OF P PLUMPTON.
STARTING 19060000
ENDING 19060000

Regards

Rory

A Diamond Fields Artillery man who deserted in WWI - Thomas Blackley 8 years 4 days ago #46397

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2151
There's also this Brian

I think your man served with the RAF in WWI - there is a very definite South African connection.

Regards

Rory
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brianc

A Diamond Fields Artillery man who deserted in WWI - Thomas Blackley 8 years 4 days ago #46398

• Brianc
Rory

Amazing info...time to re-write Gnr Plumptons story. Afraid when I purchased this medal all of 12 years plus ago, the facilities to investigate were not as advanced as they are today. And I never had friends like you who are willing to dig deeper on my behalf. Thank you once again for this further insight into one of my favorites colonial artillery medals.

Brian
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

A Diamond Fields Artillery man who deserted in WWI - Thomas Blackley 8 years 3 days ago #46407

• Barnesyard
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello Rory. I have read this with interest as I was looking at the family of Thomas Blakeley/Blackley born in Preston in 1881, son of John Blakeley and Isabella Blackburn/Beasdale. There are amazing parallels in the information - the man I have been looking at was officially assumed dead - Date of death 29 Jul 1916 - his Service number 61876, Regiment Royal Engineers Commemorated at Thiepval. I have added documents from his army service records at www.geni.com/documents/view?doc_id=6000000041922561892& (hopefully you can see it) - his geni profile - www.geni.com/people/Thomas-Blakeley/6000000041913841623

There were two births registered for Thomas Blackley -
Births Jun 1880 BLACKLEY Thomas Preston 8e 613
Births Mar 1881 BLACKLEY Thomas Preston 8e 607

There was a Births registered Jun 1881 for BLACKLEDGE Thomas Liverpool 8b 177

The only way to distinguish between the two is the see the birth certificates I guess! I am going to see whether the lives of these two van be separated and clarified - it would be an amazing coincidence if both were the son of a John and Isabel! I found the same census returns for "my" Thomas - I will get back to you if/when I find out anything more! I have made a separate profile for "this" Thomas in the mean time!

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.509 seconds