Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

"Dutchie" Christianson - From the D.L.I to the U.M.P. And then K.F.S. 7 years 11 months ago #46513

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2149
The name "Dutchie" stemmed from Christianson's hatred of the Boers - a hatred resulting from the death of his brother at the hands of the Boers as a POW during the Anglo Boer War

Henry Lewis Christianson

Trooper, Durban Light Infantry
Trooper, Untrecht Mounted Police
Corporal, 2nd Kitchener's Fighting Scouts - Anglo Boer War

- Queens South Africa Medal with clasps Relief of Ladysmith and Transvaal to 156 Pte. H.L. Christianson, Durban L.I.

Henry Christianson or “Dutchie” as he became known was born in Durban in the Colony of Natal on 25 May 1880 the son of John Christianson and his wife Olin. Life in early Durban was a rudimentary affair and it was only towards the last decade of the 19th century that comforts like running water and electric lights were installed in the streets and households of the Durban population.

Most young men followed a trade as there was a demand for skilled labour and artisans which surpassed the need for more educated pursuits. Christianson was no different in that he became a Carpenter by trade. The peace and equanimity of Natal was brought to an abrupt end in October 1899 with the invasion from the North and West of the Boer forces. War had broken out between the Boer Republics of the Transvaal and the Orange Free State and the British Empire of which Natal was an integral part and no time was lost in crossing over into Natal.

Initially it was felt that the incursion would be easily repulsed by the few Imperial regiments based in the Colony but realisation soon dawned that this was no small affair and the call rapidly came for colonial units to be raised to assist the cause. Established units like the Durban Light Infantry and the Natal Mounted Rifles called up their peace-time members and other volunteers and they were soon ready to take to the field. Christianson was one of these men and, at the age of 19 found himself mustered with B Company under Captain J Nicholson for service.

Mustered as early as 29 September 1899, on the very eve of war, the D.L.I. was sent to an encampment at Colenso tasked with keeping open the Tugela Bridge, the gateway to nearby Ladysmith. For the first few weeks their energies were devoted to building trenches and forts, including, for B Company, Fort Nicholson. After a barrage of Boer artillery fire rained down on them the decision was made to fall back on Estcourt.

They were next engaged at the battel of Willow Grange on 23 November where the British forces were routed and although last to leave the field the D.L.I. suffered no losses. From then on, sadly for the men, the D.L.I. was called upon to man the lines of communication. The top brass pleaded for their men to be allowed to remain in the fighting line but it was not to be and they were moved south to Nottingham Road and from there to Mooi River where they assisted in hospital work and other menial duties.

A move back to Estcourt followed and then on to Elandslaagte and to Dundee, almost to the spot where the battle of Talana had raged some six months before. By this time of course the enemy was nowhere to be seen and the D.L.I. helped rebuild the desolate town of Dundee. In September 1900 the battalion marched into the Transvaal, joining General Hildyard’s column which moved on Vryheid meeting little opposition. On 7 October the battalion entrained for Durban receiving a rapturous welcome a year almost to the day since they had departed.

The D.L.I’s war might have been over but Christianson’s war was not – on 28 May 1901 he enlisted for service with the Utrecht Mounted Police and was assigned no. 199 and the rank of Trooper. It must be remembered that Utrecht had been the “border” between the Zuid Afrikaansche Republiek and Natal until the Boers had been expelled from the colony and this unit would have been at the forefront of any action that was taking place in their vicinity. He was to serve until taking his discharge on 23 August 1901.

Scouting around for something to do he next joined up with the 2nd battalion, Kitchener’s Fighting Scouts a week later on 30 August 1901 with the rank of Corporal and number 457. His attestation paper confirmed his prior service with both the D.L.I. and the U.M.P. and went on to say that his next of kin was his father, Captain John Christianson of 45 Shepstone Street, Addington, Durban. Physically Christianson was described as being 5 feet 10 ½ inches with a dark complexion, brown eyes and light brown hair. He was now 21 ½ years old.

In August 1901 Colonel Wilson, with the 2nd KFS, was railed to the Orange River Colony and it was here that Christianson joined their ranks. In Lord Robert’s despatches of October, November, and December 1901 there are frequent references to the work of Wilson's column. In their new sphere they had endless marching and constant fighting, and always made good use of their opportunities. The column had the good fortune to be working under and often with Colonel Rimington. On 4th October Wilson, marching from Kroonstad to Heilbron, was attacked near the Rhenoster River, but drove off the enemy. The regiment lost 4 killed and 6 wounded.

On 14th November the columns of Colonel Byng, South African Light Horse, and Wilson, 2nd KFS, were very resolutely attacked. After two hours' fighting the attack was successfully repulsed by "Byng's rear-guard, which was well and skilfully handled by Lieutenant Colonel Wilson of KFS, and the enemy retired, leaving 8 dead on the field". The telegraphic despatch stated that the rear-guard was composed of KFS, who had all the losses, namely, 3 killed, including Lieutenant Hughes, and 8 wounded.

During December 1901 and January and February 1902 the 2nd KFS took part in many big driving movements in the north of the Orange River Colony. In his telegram of 27th January 1902 Lord Kitchener said: "Colonel Wilson, KFS, moved out on Thursday night from Frankfort and surrounded a small laager at Damplatz, capturing 20 prisoners, including Field-Cornet Strydom. During the return march he was attacked by a superior force under Alberts, who was driven off after severe fighting, leaving 5 dead. All Wilson's prisoners, except three, escaped". Kitchener's Fighting Scouts lost 8 killed and 7 wounded.

In the despatch of 8th February, dealing with events in that district, Lord Kitchener said that the columns of Keir and Wilson and Damant's Horse "have acted vigorously whenever opportunity offered against the enemy's bands under Commandants Alberts and Ross, which continued to frequent the valley of the Vaal to the north of Frankfort".

In the beginning of March Wilson's column was, with other troops, taken to the Western Transvaal, where, it will be remembered, Lord Methuen had met with disaster. The 2nd KFS were placed under General Walter Kitchener, and were present at the fiercely fought action of Boschbult on 31st March 1902, when they lost 1 killed and 7 wounded. They took part in the final great drives, under General Ian Hamilton, towards the Mafeking railway and back to Klerksdorp.

The 2nd battalion, Kitchener's Fighting Scouts took the field when the war was far advanced, but during the whole of the second phase of the campaign they did splendid work. Judged by the losses inflicted on the enemy, no corps could point to a finer record, and they are an outstanding example of what can be made in a very short time of Colonial material, provided that officers suitable for irregulars are found.

Having been taken to Pretoria after the declaration of peace, Kitchener's Fighting Scouts had, along with the Imperial Light Horse, Johannesburg Mounted Rifles, and Scottish Horse, the honour of marching past Lord Kitchener, who spoke highly of the work which had been done. Christianson took his leave of the regiment on disbandment after this on 7 July 1902.

For his efforts Christianson was awarded the Queens Medal named to his parent regiment – the Durban Light Infantry.

Out of uniform and with the Boer War a thing of the past Christianson turned his attention to romance marrying Eliza Hannable Smith a 26 year old Dressmaker of Shepstone Street, Durban at St Cyprian’s Church on 26 November 1904. He was a 25 year old bachelor at the time.

Little is known of his movements after this save for the fact that he became a well-known builder in Durban. His nickname “Dutchie” stemmed from his hatred for the Boers after his brother, a Trooper with the 4th Railway Pioneer Regiment, had been shot by the Boers after being taken Prisoner of War at Grobler’s Drift.

He passed away at the age of 90 on 28 June 1970 in Entabeni Hospital, Durban. His address at the time of his death was 55 Cunningham Road, Umbilo, Durban. A Widower, his wife had predeceased him in 1966. Henry Lewis Christianson was survived by his numerous children – John Scott Christianson; Victor Herbert Christianson; Roy Ethelbert Christianson and Ivan Lewis Christianson. Two of his sons had also died before him – Arnold Lewis Christianson and Henry Christianson. His estate was a large one for the times – R 22 952. 46.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

"Dutchie" Christianson - From the D.L.I to the U.M.P. And then K.F.S. 7 years 11 months ago #46514

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Good Monday Morning Rory......

Thanks for the great start of a new week......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

"Dutchie" Christianson - From the D.L.I to the U.M.P. And then K.F.S. 7 years 11 months ago #46515

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2149
Morning Mike

I hope it's a good one for you with the odd jiffy bag in the post box!....

Regards

Rory

"Dutchie" Christianson - From the D.L.I to the U.M.P. And then K.F.S. 7 years 11 months ago #46516

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879

Rory wrote: Morning Mike

I hope it's a good one for you with the odd jiffy bag in the post box!....

Regards

Rory

Hi Rory......

Yes am expecting a few but really looking forward to one in particular.......

The movie "Oh What a Lovely War"......

Staring:

Maggie Smith
Dirk Bogarde
Phyllis Calvert
Jean Pierre Cassel
John Clements
John Gielgud
Jack Hawkins
Kenneth More
Laurence Olivier
Michael Redgrave
Vanessa Redgrave
Ralph Richardson
Susannah York
John Mills

You can see it here..... en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oh%21_What_a_Lovely_War

and a couple of medals and some ribbon...... LOL

Mike

P.S. Did you get the PM?
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

"Dutchie" Christianson - From the D.L.I to the U.M.P. And then K.F.S. 7 years 11 months ago #46521

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Rory
I can see why posting Christianson's interesting biography helped to lessen yesterday's disappointment. Every cloud .... and all that!
Regards
Brett
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.593 seconds