Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Unusual medal combinations that include a QSA 9 years 1 month ago #26479

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 453
Hello Fisk

I've been collecting just data for a talk I am doing for the Sussex OMRS "The QSA and Other Medals" at the end of April. So far, including your grandfather, I've recorded 32 men who earned medals in WWII.

In WWII did he serve overseas at all?

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Unusual medal combinations that include a QSA 9 years 1 month ago #26480

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 433
Hello Meurig,

Here is a link to a group of medals on a local auction site here. Boer War/ WW1 and WW2. Might be interesting and worthy of inclusion on your data base.

Cheers
Adrian

www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/181051513/_QSA_W...Josiah_Wedgwood.html
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.

Unusual medal combinations that include a QSA 9 years 1 month ago #26481

• fisk
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Not in WWII. He left that to my father. My grandfather joined the LDV in 1940 soon after Dunkirk before they became the Home Guard. Being on the East coast they were set up very fast getting Vickers heavy machine guns and rifles faster than many regular units back from France. Their unit's task was to ensure the local bridge was destroyed (to prevent German vehicle movement north south) and simply delay the invaders. They built two concrete Vickers gun pillboxes to dominate the open ground from the coast to the village and bridge. Dark days and I don't think he had any doubts about what would have happened to them all. Again, being on the East coast the platoon remained active until into 1945. He was badly injured in Neuve Chappelle in 1915 and was discharged after the end of WWI as unfit for further duty, but that was no handicap to him 22 years later in 1940. A bit disturbing to think that his army number was 24.523,923 less than mine. I could have done with his when reciting my number in a CS smoke tent in respirator training.

Unusual medal combinations that include a QSA 9 years 1 month ago #26482

• SWB
Thanks

fisk wrote: Not in WWII. He left that to my father. My grandfather joined the LDV in 1940 soon after Dunkirk before they became the Home Guard. Being on the East coast they were set up very fast getting Vickers heavy machine guns and rifles faster than many regular units back from France. Their unit's task was to ensure the local bridge was destroyed (to prevent German vehicle movement north south) and simply delay the invaders. They built two concrete Vickers gun pillboxes to dominate the open ground from the coast to the village and bridge. Dark days and I don't think he had any doubts about what would have happened to them all. Again, being on the East coast the platoon remained active until into 1945. He was badly injured in Neuve Chappelle in 1915 and was discharged after the end of WWI as unfit for further duty, but that was no handicap to him 22 years later in 1940. A bit disturbing to think that his army number was 24.523,923 less than mine. I could have done with his when reciting my number in a CS smoke tent in respirator training.

Researcher & Collector

Unusual medal combinations that include a QSA 9 years 1 month ago #26483

• SWB
Thanks Adrian - all sightings worthy of inclusion. The QSA is particularly interesting as he is from the Elswick Battery.

capepolice wrote: Hello Meurig,

Here is a link to a group of medals on a local auction site here. Boer War/ WW1 and WW2. Might be interesting and worthy of inclusion on your data base.

Cheers
Adrian

www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/181051513/_QSA_W...Josiah_Wedgwood.html

Researcher & Collector

Unusual medal combinations that include a QSA 9 years 1 month ago #26486

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Meurig
Here are two more groups for your list.
Regards
Brett

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.598 seconds