Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Lt Augustus William Byron and Trooper George Graham, 8 Coy IY (Derbyshire) 9 years 3 weeks ago #26518

• slimcog
  • slimcog's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
The attached photographs came into my safekeeping on the death of my grandfather Augustus William Graham in 1971. They are of his father 5134 Trooper George Graham (formerly of the 2nd Dragoon Guards - service number 2543) and Lt Augustus William Byron. The photographs came together with a reproduction of a cutting from the Worksop Guardian dated 3 August 1900:

"HOME-COMING OF MR. BYRON.- Monday evening at Edwinstowe afforded an occasion that will not readily be forgotten. In the morning it was made known that Mr. Byron and his servant, Geo. Graham, who has attended him under military conditions as soldier and servant throughout the South African War were to arrive by the 6-55 train. The result of this information was the assembly of a very large number of the residents of the village. A portion of the Boys' Brigade was formed in line in front of the stopping place of the welcome arrivals. After affectionate salutations of near friends, and appropriate bugle calls had been sounded, a move was made outside the station, where a carriage was in waiting. 'The bells from the old Parish Church rang out a merry peal, Mr. Blackborough's band playing "Soldiers of the Queen." On being seated in the carriage, the vicar (the Rev. H. T. Hayman) welcomed the two arrivals in a most appropriate and touching speech, in the course of which he specially referred to the self-sacrifice made by those to whom the reception was accorded. At the conclusion, the Allerton choir from Bradford, who had been enjoying a day in the Dukeries, sang the Doxology, which was most appropriate and was heartily joined in by the crowd, as was also the National Anthem, which followed. - Mr. Byron, who seemed deeply touched at the splendid reception accorded him then responded, and said it was more than a reward for any sacrifice he might have made on behalf of his country, and spoke of the endeavours as nothing more than a man's duty. He then spoke of the devotedness of his attendant, and said that had it not been for his good servant, George Graham, he should not have been there that night, as he had a most severe attack of enteric fever, from the after results of which he was suffering. The carriage which contained Mr. and Mrs. Byron and family, and servant, was then drawn by a body of delighted and willing people to Edwinstone House, where the servants gave their Master a most hearty welcome. Three ringing cheers were given as the family entered their home. Mr. Byron is a captain in the Leicestershire Yeomanry, and has been serving with the Imperial Yeomanry in South Africa."

The reference to the Leicestershire Yeomanry is a mistake. Byron's cousin Wilfred served with the Leicestershire Yeomanry with whom he shared a strong facial resemblance. Wilfred was the younger of the two. George Graham's wife was in service with the Byron household until 1891. Their son (i.e. my grandfather) served with 2nd Dragoon Guards during WWI.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lt Augustus William Byron and Trooper George Graham, 8 Coy IY (Derbyshire) 9 years 3 weeks ago #26525

• slimcog
  • slimcog's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I would grateful for any information about where and how 8 Coy spent their time between Jan and Aug 1900.

Lt Augustus William Byron and Trooper George Graham, 8 Coy IY (Derbyshire) 9 years 3 weeks ago #26526

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Hello slimcog,

And welcome to the forum.
I have taken the liberty to insert your superb pics into your post so everyone can see them in their full glory :)
Good luck with your future research.

Regards
Paul :)

slimcog wrote: The attached photographs came into my safekeeping on the death of my grandfather Augustus William Graham in 1971. They are of his father 5134 Trooper George Graham (formerly of the 2nd Dragoon Guards - service number 2543) and Lt Augustus William Byron. The photographs came together with a reproduction of a cutting from the Worksop Guardian dated 3 August 1900:

"HOME-COMING OF MR. BYRON.- Monday evening at Edwinstowe afforded an occasion that will not readily be forgotten. In the morning it was made known that Mr. Byron and his servant, Geo. Graham, who has attended him under military conditions as soldier and servant throughout the South African War were to arrive by the 6-55 train. The result of this information was the assembly of a very large number of the residents of the village. A portion of the Boys' Brigade was formed in line in front of the stopping place of the welcome arrivals. After affectionate salutations of near friends, and appropriate bugle calls had been sounded, a move was made outside the station, where a carriage was in waiting. 'The bells from the old Parish Church rang out a merry peal, Mr. Blackborough's band playing "Soldiers of the Queen." On being seated in the carriage, the vicar (the Rev. H. T. Hayman) welcomed the two arrivals in a most appropriate and touching speech, in the course of which he specially referred to the self-sacrifice made by those to whom the reception was accorded. At the conclusion, the Allerton choir from Bradford, who had been enjoying a day in the Dukeries, sang the Doxology, which was most appropriate and was heartily joined in by the crowd, as was also the National Anthem, which followed. - Mr. Byron, who seemed deeply touched at the splendid reception accorded him then responded, and said it was more than a reward for any sacrifice he might have made on behalf of his country, and spoke of the endeavours as nothing more than a man's duty. He then spoke of the devotedness of his attendant, and said that had it not been for his good servant, George Graham, he should not have been there that night, as he had a most severe attack of enteric fever, from the after results of which he was suffering. The carriage which contained Mr. and Mrs. Byron and family, and servant, was then drawn by a body of delighted and willing people to Edwinstone House, where the servants gave their Master a most hearty welcome. Three ringing cheers were given as the family entered their home. Mr. Byron is a captain in the Leicestershire Yeomanry, and has been serving with the Imperial Yeomanry in South Africa."

The reference to the Leicestershire Yeomanry is a mistake. Byron's cousin Wilfred served with the Leicestershire Yeomanry with whom he shared a strong facial resemblance. Wilfred was the younger of the two. George Graham's wife was in service with the Byron household until 1891. Their son (i.e. my grandfather) served with 2nd Dragoon Guards during WWI.

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."
The following user(s) said Thank You: slimcog

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.766 seconds