TOPIC:

Pte 84750 Sidney White RHA 6 months 2 weeks ago #92682

• adrian1008
  • adrian1008's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello
I am seeking assistance with researching the above soldier who came from the Isle of Wight, I have his QSA and original attestation papers showing he enlisted on 9th May 1891 and had previous militia experience with the Isle of Wight Artillery. His QSA has the following clasps. Wittebergen: Diamond Hill: Johannesburg :Paardeberg and Relief of Kimberley.
Any assistance with information concerning his unit or a timeline would be appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pte 84750 Sidney White RHA 6 months 2 weeks ago #92686

• Sturgy
  • Thank you received: 280
Hi Adrian,

Do you have his age and location of birth from his attestation papers?

He was entitled to the QSA & clasps you mentioned below; he was also entitled for a KSA with 1901 and 1902 clasps.

Basic info from the medal rolls is that he transferred from B Depot to "R" Battery on 24 Oct 1899 and left South Africa 18 Aug 1902.

Speak my name so that I may live again
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Dave F, adrian1008

Pte 84750 Sidney White RHA 6 months 2 weeks ago #92687

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1181
You beat me to the rolls Sturgy :)
Adrian.
A little detail on R Battery
R Battery Royal Horse Artillery was with General French in the Colesberg district.  Thereafter was taken to Modder River.  Accompanied the expedition to Koodosberg Drift in the beginning of February; was with General French in the rush to Kimberley and the subsequent advances to Bloemfontein and Pretoria, and assisted Sir Archibald Hunter in the operations for surrounding Prinsloo.  In the beginning of 1901 operated with De Lisle in Cape Colony and afterwards in the Orange River Colony. 
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, adrian1008, Sturgy

Pte 84750 Sidney White RHA 6 months 2 weeks ago #92688

• adrian1008
  • adrian1008's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
He appears to have attested at Fort Rowner ?? Gosport on 09/05/1891 his age given was 19 7/12 He was baptised on 31st Oct 1875, His Father is Edward White and I ve just realised I have been looking at the wrong White for his parents. Edward White is listed as NOK on his attestation papers
He appears to come from Haylands, a suburb of Ryde on the Island

Pte 84750 Sidney White RHA 6 months 2 weeks ago #92692

• Smethwick
  • Thank you received: 861
The following transcription record can be found on Find My Past:

First name(s) Sidney

Last name White

Year 1899-1902

Rank Gunner

Service number 84750

Regiment A Battery Royal Horse Artillery

Biography Born in the parish of Halyards near Ryde on the Isle of Wight, and having worked as a labourer and seen service with the Isle of Wight Artillery, then attested for regular service with the British Army on 9th May 1891, joining as a Gunner (No.84750) with the Royal Artillery, before being transferred to the Depot of the Royal Horse Artillery on 18th May 1891, and then posted to ’S’ Battery RHA on 22nd January 1892 on which date he was posted out to India. Posted home on 26th January 1899, he was transferred to the Army Reserve three days later. However owing to the outbreak of the Boer War he was recalled to service on 9th October 1899, and then posted to South Africa on 24th October, being then present with ‘R’ Battery RHA at the Relief of Kimberley on 15th February 1900, and in action at Paardeberg on 17th to 26th February 1900, and then at Johannesburg on 31st May 1900, at Diamond Hill on 11th to 12th June 1900, and in the operations at Wittebergen from 1st to 29th July 1900. White was posted home on 7th September 1902, and fully discharged from the Depot of the Royal Horse Artillery on 8th May 1903. Source: Mkt (original copy WO97)

Notes QSA Clasps: P,D,J,DH,W,RoK KSA Clasps: SA01,SA02

Country Great Britain

Record set Anglo-Boer War Records 1899-1902

Category Military, armed forces & conflict

Subcategory Boer Wars

Collections from Great Britain, UK None
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, adrian1008

Pte 84750 Sidney White RHA 6 months 2 weeks ago #92693

• Smethwick
  • Thank you received: 861
This looks like him on the 1911 Census but cannot find any other records that seem to fit.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.993 seconds