TOPIC:

Father and Son POWs 9 months 3 weeks ago #90539

• Mbanghart
  • Mbanghart's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi all,

I am still new to collecting and the stories behind medals are important to me. However, I do find it hard to decide if a price is reasonable. There is a Boer medal I am interested in. The individual was captured at Paardeberg (he was 60), along with his 13yo son. Both went to camps, although not sure which. In my research I found both survived and the son had children as well. The single medal for the father is at auction for a starting bid of $350. I think this is to much, although I have a personal connection to POWs. I apologize if this is not an appropriate place to ask, but would love to hear opinions on valuation.

Thanks
Marc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Father and Son POWs 9 months 3 weeks ago #90569

• Sturgy
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 257
Hi Mbanghart,

Welcome to the forum; your question regarding valuation is a very difficult one to answer.

I can't speak on behalf of anyone else on this forum but at the end of the day the market will decide the value of the medal; if it's too high then it won't get a bid and won't sell.

For myself I try not to get emotionally attached before or during bidding; I don't have deep pockets and need to ensure that I don't break the budget.

My only caveat is if there is a friend or family connection; then I would be prepared to dig deep and pay (kak en betaal :) ).

Regarding the medal you are interested in; if it's $350 USD (hammer price) and he was a POW at Paardeberg and if I was at the auction then it would be a pass from me. If it's $350 AUD (hammer price) then it would be worth a bid.

A wise person once said "The opportunity of a lifetime comes around every 5 min's"; that's my attitude when it comes to collecting.

That's just my opinion.....and not of anyone else on this forum.

Good luck with the journey.

Regards,
Sturgy
Speak my name so that I may live again

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.328 seconds