Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Regimental Museum of the 1st/15th Royal New South Wales Lancers. 7 years 5 months ago #49476

• LinneyI
  • LinneyI's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1537
Forum members
Last Sunday, I was privileged to be shown around the Regimental Museum of the 1st/15th Royal New South Wales Lancers. The museum is situated in Lancer Barracks, Parramatta (to the West of Sydney) and has a very good display relating to the activities of the unit during the South African campaign. The museum is lodged in an old two-storey brick building; showing the participation of the unit in conflicts up to and including Afghanistan. A contingent of the NSWL was in training at Aldershot and, being aware of the deteriorating situation, those members able to volunteer for active service sailed from the UK on 10/10/1899; before war was declared. They were the first over-sea Colonials to land in SA. A draft was later sent from NSW to make up a complete squadron.
IL's tour guide was a genial, former Sqn.Sgt.Major of the RNSWL who - upon hearing of IL's Infantry service - tended to steer him away from the Regimental Silver!
Your fellow Forum member emerged some three hours later with quite a few pics on his trusty little SONY. He was informed that there is no copyright on pics taken; so long as the Museum is credited. As an introduction, I have attached a pic of a NSWL trooper's uniform from the period - as well as a pic of a couple of engraved/inscribed tobacco pipes attributed to NSW troops in the field. Later, when I have more time. I will post more images of what really is a unique collection relating to the South African campaign.

Regards to all
IL.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Elmarie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Regimental Museum of the 1st/15th Royal New South Wales Lancers. 7 years 5 months ago #49482

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
It sounds like a great visit, IL. These pictures are excellent too.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: LinneyI

Regimental Museum of the 1st/15th Royal New South Wales Lancers. 7 years 5 months ago #49497

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
IL
Thank you for this post. It is great to know that the museum exists and that the Boer War is suitably commemorated. I will look forward to seeing more photographs.
Regards
Brett

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.434 seconds