Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Bernard Vivian Fitzgibbon 8 years 1 month ago #45157

• andytwy
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
hello, forgive me butting in, I was just idly reading through this thread

no doubt you are aware of the following - that the maiden name given for Elizabeth Anne is ELIOTT

also I don't know what approximate date of birth would be likely but a Bernard Fitzgibbon was born 14 December 1873 at Queenstown, Cork, Ireland to Michael Fitzgibbon and Fanny Jaggers

no doubt you knew the above already

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bernard Vivian Fitzgibbon 8 years 1 month ago #45178

• Kyooma
  • Kyooma's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hello! You are not butting in at all and I very much appreciate your interest. I have been trying to track BV for several years and whilst on a visit to London just over a year ago I took time off to visit the PRO in Kew Gardens. I got access to the Attestation papers of the 2nd Brabants. Unbelievably the papers of the elusive BV were missing. I was informed that this often happens. I later found out that he became a member of the Field Information Department(FID). This was an intelligence unit and perhaps his papers were removed. BV is listed on this website under the section FID where his time in the Brab Horse and Prince Alf V Gds is noted.
You picked up Bernard Fitzgibbon born at Queenstown Cork in 1873. I noted that also but dismissed it as the date of his birth passed to me by his great grandson is 1880. Now you have put him back in my mind I wonder if in order to secure passage to SA did he add on extra years, maybe twicked his second name also. BV's great grandson is in business in Johannesburg and my mother's family are also Fitzgibbons.
Again thank you for your message. Liam

Bernard Vivian Fitzgibbon 5 years 1 month ago #62473

• Sean Murphy
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
I came across your posts when researching the Fitzgibbon family. Michael and Fanny Fitzgibbon of Queenstown, Cork, were my great-great grandparents. Bernard Fitzgibbon is a new addition to the family names I have. It appears that Michael died in 1873 or later and Fanny and the family emigrated to Canada by 1881, settling in what is now Windsor, Ontario. I have not found a record of Bernard in Canada, so I presume that he died in Ireland or en route. I think it very unlikely that he is the Bernard Vivian Fitzgibbon you are looking for.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.739 seconds