Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Newspaper research when is the best date to start ? 9 years 2 months ago #25513

• deacs
  • deacs's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 27
Thanks again I am looking forward to today and hopefully I will find some good information about the Boer war from a Cumbrian point of view.
I was needing a break from my WW1 project so this will keep me entertained for awhile :cheer:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Newspaper research when is the best date to start ? 9 years 2 months ago #25527

• deacs
  • deacs's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 27
Had a good day I started from the start of September until the end of December (well it's a start).
Need to sort my photos out but I found some interesting stuff.

Regards Mike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: volunteer1860

Newspaper research when is the best date to start ? 9 years 2 months ago #25819

• volunteer1860
  • Thank you received: 14
I'm doing a similar project, covering the Rotherham area. I have been astounded by the number of names and stories I have found and particularly like the "send off" articles when a Reservist or volunteer receives a list of gifts from work colleagues or people from their chapel or church. Tobacco and pipes are usually present among the gifts!

I am currently focusing on the men from the local Volunteer battalion (York and Lancaster Regt) and the Imperial Yeomanry - several 2VB men joined the IY. Newspaper obituaries in later years for those who survived the Boer war - and perhaps WW1 - often give details of military service and assist in a definite identification where similar names cause problems. Regimental journals, if accessible, may give obituaries for some men who died in later years, including those from Volunteer battalions.

Its well worth looking at articles in the years immediately following the Boer war - I've found a couple relating to the theft of medals, and one was for a name I hadn't come across during the war years.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.351 seconds