Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re: Town Guards and DMTs - compiling unit information 12 years 3 weeks ago #2429

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
As part of the work on the town guards, I wanted to include a map to show where they are. I had thought of using a digitised map that was then cropped for the particular place. A potentially better solution is to link to Google Maps which gives much more flexibility.

Here is an example for King Williams Town .

It is possible to change the map size, type of map and the initial degree of zoom.

How does this look?

Regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Town Guards and DMTs - compiling unit information 12 years 3 weeks ago #2431

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
David

It looks very good to me and should be very useful to people unfamiliar with South African place names.

Hopefully, Google wont keep up with place name changes in SA, so Boer War vintage names will still appear on Google maps.

Regards
Brett

Re: Town Guards and DMTs - compiling unit information 11 years 1 month ago #8141

• kaigs
  • Thank you received: 3
I recently investigated the Natal Rifle Association history which I can let you have a copy of and in addition I have copies of the Ladysmith Town Guard muster rolls, rules, deaths and many photographs.

Re: Town Guards and DMTs - compiling unit information 11 years 1 month ago #8143

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
Brian

This would be very useful infomation to add to this forum and I am sure that everyone would welcome it.

Regards
Brett

Re: Town Guards and DMTs - compiling unit information 11 years 1 month ago #8144

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Kaigs,

That would be very helpful. We can do this in two ways. Either you can send the information to me and I can add it to the respective pages or we can create forum pages for these units so that it can be added to over time.

As a question to all members, which method do you think would be best?

Regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: Town Guards and DMTs - compiling unit information 11 years 1 month ago #8145

• kaigs
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi Brett, I have attached both and if there are any questions please get back to me
Regards
Brian

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.408 seconds