Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

British servicemen executed by their own side 8 years 8 months ago #42450

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Good Morning Everyone.......

I am sure that the following was glad he was serving in the Cavalry rather than the Navy if the story below is true.......

Jurdison, J., 4302, Private, 8th Hussars, Cape Colony, OFS, Transvaal. Medal Forfeit: Sentenced to 2 years I.L.H for sleeping at post, 13/11/01

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

British servicemen executed by their own side 8 years 8 months ago #42451

• JustinLDavies
  • Thank you received: 119
I've not heard or read about any formal British executions of British soldiers in the Boer War with the exception of Lieutenants Morant and Handcock.

As far as I can ascertain, those that fell asleep on sentry duty (like Mike's example) were courtmartialed and sentenced to imprisonment with hard labour at the Breakwater military prison in Cape Town.

I had read that all military prisoners were pardoned by King Edward VII at the end of the war.

All best,

Justin

British servicemen executed by their own side 8 years 1 month ago #45587

• LinneyI
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1536
Forum members
As observed elsewhere, things medallic have been quiet, too quiet, on the local front (and elsewhere for that matter). The other day, IL was leafing through 'The Medal Roll of the QSA medal with Wepener bar" by S.M.Kaplan - as one does - and observed the following marginal note in respect of "Sq.Sgt.Maj. Carpenter F" of 1st Brabant's Horse; "KH. 2nd Brabant's H. Executed 18.12.1900 for murder of Lt. Burginhurp. No Medal. Issue made from 2nd B.H. should be recovered". I had a quick look on my copy of the original roll and the notation appears correctly transcribed.
I could not find any Lt. Burginhurp in Palmer. I wonder who he was.
Regards
IL.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.381 seconds