Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

War Office paper on Court of Inquiry into treatment of British Soldiers 7 years 10 months ago #47061

• RPB1947
  • RPB1947's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Mark

Hopefully here is the link to the Lancet article. When I copied it into the message box it all appears....but then when I "previewed" it much of the URL address went missing. If it works, the actual discussion about Rev. Godfrey is midway down the left hand column. If you "back-up" to the previous page, at the bottom of the right hand column is information on the court of inquiry report, the dispatch by Roberts, etc.

books.google.com/books?id=kFtKAQAAMAAJ&p...nd%20godfrey&f=false

As I read the information and quotes about Godfrey, I would guess it came from Lord Roberts dispatch rather than the report of the Court of Inquiry....would you agree?

I have already contacted the NA. Of course the first thing I did was ask them how I can pay their search fees? The information is probably somewhere on their site but I must have missed it. Sometimes it is challenge for me to pay invoices denominated in Sterling depending on what payment mechanisms they accept.

Many thanks

Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

War Office paper on Court of Inquiry into treatment of British Soldiers 7 years 10 months ago #47062

• BFBSM
  • Thank you received: 12
A quick note on the payment issue, it is generally easy, via credit card using a World Pay system. I live in Australia, and have never had an issue paying.

I would suggest asking Lee at arcre to give you a quote, you will find it quite a deal cheaper, I believe.

WIll look at the link, and info on my PC, hard to look at Google books links on my iPad, and will come back with any thoughts.

Mark

War Office paper on Court of Inquiry into treatment of British Soldiers 7 years 10 months ago #47064

• BFBSM
I am unable to read the article at the link you have provided, I only get the top of page 883.

Mark

War Office paper on Court of Inquiry into treatment of British Soldiers 7 years 10 months ago #47068

• RPB1947
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hmmm. I tried the "abbreviated link" and it worked. If you have the time and want to make the attempt, try Googling

Lord Roberts censure of reverend Godfrey

That is what uncovered the Google link for me. It was the second item when I tried it.

Thanks for the effort.

Bob

War Office paper on Court of Inquiry into treatment of British Soldiers 7 years 10 months ago #47070

• RPB1947
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Mark

Just wanted to let you know I was able to access Lord Roberts dispatch. Turns out through the British Newspaper Archives site I was able to find articles in most of the major English Newspapers on the event. It was a bit of a scandal at the time, primarily oriented to the treatment of British soldiers in prison. The newspaper articles included not only the full text of Robert's dispatch, but also the full text of a letter this Rev. Godfrey had written which was important for my little research project.

Thanks again for your help. I now know a bit about the British Archives and I will not doubt use Lee and his research service in the future.

Bob

War Office paper on Court of Inquiry into treatment of British Soldiers 7 years 10 months ago #47071

• BFBSM
Good work Bob, glad I was able to help.

For others, the link to the article referred to by Bob is: www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/viewer...87/19000913/106/0005 , and it appears in the Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Thursday 13 September 1900.

Mark

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.407 seconds