Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

South African Mounted Irregular Forces - any info? 6 years 5 months ago #56224

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 442
Hi
IL mentioned
Stirling (The Colonials in South Africa) says that "On 21st November, 1901, a body coming under the generic title, South African Irregular Forces, when clearing the enemy from the native districts about Tembuland, lost Captain Elliot killed, Captain Everett and Lts. Baxter and Burmister wounded".
I have Everett's QSA : one of five medals issued off the roll of Qumbu Native Reserves. The QSA's to Baxter and Burmeister are also on that roll (WO100/285)
Interesting that Everett's QSA is named Capt H H Peverett, and not H H P Everett: the QSA roll was incorrect and he never bothered to correct the medal!
The skirmish took place at Gatberg, near Ugie and Capt Elliot's force consisted of a few white officers and some 300 black levies
Henk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brett Hendey

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

South African Mounted Irregular Forces - any info? 6 years 5 months ago #56227

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
James

The SA Archives did not even get near the end of the 20th Century in digitising their records. Those records that are online are identified with only a brief description of their contents, after which they need to be copied on site. I have been told, but find it hard to believe, that occasionally archives' staff will respond positively to a request and copy a file for the enquirer.

I do not get out much anymore, and latterly I have relied on a friend in Maritzburg to copy files for me. Unfortunately, he has now decamped to greener pastures, but I will see if I can find someone else to copy Fox's letter. I will send you a PM later.

Regards
Brett
The following user(s) said Thank You: Baden Powell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.433 seconds