• Page:

TOPIC:

Who did he fight for? 4 years 9 months ago #64559

• Kelly Chase
  • Kelly Chase's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello and thank you for your reply. I have found, who I think is him - Regt No. 1615 Prince Alfred Volunteer Guards 1899-1902 and it says there he received the QSA and KSA.
-
My reasons for thinking this is him is simply that the only way I find him coming to South Africa is before the commencement of war and he at the time, lists himself as J Linder which was also his father's name (James Blake Linder). The occupation on entry fits as does the timing. I couldn't find him on any UK Army Service list and their record keeping is pretty tight.

I have also found an entry for Trooper J Linder Regt No 3450 enlisted 14.6.00 where it states he was seconded to Kitchener's Horse. But that is the only reference there and I can't find anything on Kitchener's as yet to tie him in.

I have a photograph I will try put up - it is the only picture I have of him with his medals. I am in the process of trying to determine if any of his other descendents in South Africa have his medals.

With many thanks for your help - I'm not sure if these are in any way clear enough to see.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Who did he fight for? 4 years 9 months ago #64560

• Kelly Chase
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hello and thank you for your reply. J B Linder in the 1906 Medal Roll is my Great Great Grandad.
Attachments:

Who did he fight for? 4 years 9 months ago #64562

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Picture...…

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:

Who did he fight for? 1 year 2 days ago #89623

• Kelly Chase
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Frank - Its taken me a long while to get back to this but I don't actually have the medals. They seem to have got 'lost' in the extended family. All I have is the photograph of Grandad wearing them. And it's not clear. I have found out that his father received medals in the Crimean War - I think half of those on his chest front are those. Grandad was the only son of that family and when he left England, his father had already passed so it stands to reason that he had those medals in his possession. I wish I had more to go on!
Thank you for taking the time to reply to me.... nearly four years ago!

Who did he fight for? 1 year 2 days ago #89624

• Kelly Chase
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hello - I need to get the hang of making my way around the messages.... I already typed this in but lost it... nevermind!
Grandad was in the habit of not using his first name - most often he just went by James, or James Blake. I suspect Tweed as a first name wasn't an easy route. So yes, thats him receiving the Natal medal in 1906. I've had confirmation from a family member that he was in that unit.

Who did he fight for? 1 year 1 day ago #89626

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175

Kelly Chase wrote: Hello and thank you for your reply. J B Linder in the 1906 Medal Roll is my Great Great Grandad.

Not sure if you have this information?
Your G G Grandfather seems to have been promoted through the ranks.
From Sergeant in 1906 to Lieutenant in 1909

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.575 seconds