Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Jameson Raider and Boer War 4 years 7 months ago #65245

• Droocoo
  • Droocoo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi all this is my first post here so forgive me if I have posted this in the wrong section,

I am researching Colonel Arthur Guy Leslie Pepys who fought as a trooper with the Mashonaland Mounted Police in "B" Troop of Jameson's Raid, as well as with the Northamptonshire Regiment in the Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902.

I was wondering whether there is a particular resource that could place Pepys throughout the Jameson Raid? I would like to find out a bit more about what he and his troop did during the raid. Furthermore, were there photographs taken of the raiders?

Any information regarding Pepys would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance,

Andrew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Jameson Raider and Boer War 4 years 7 months ago #65246

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Andrew
The Owen Roll for the BSAC medal roll shows "Pepys, Arthur Guy Leslie" as being a trooper in B Troop, M.M.P. (Matabeleland Mounted Police) during the Raid, for 1896 he was with the M.R.F.(Matabeleland Relief Force) and for 1897 he was with the Rhodesian Horse Volunteers.
Other Forum members more familiar with the Raid may be able to assist further with placing your man. As a matter of interest, I have a BSACM/QSA pair to a man who served with the ArtilleryTroop during the Jameson Raid and I have to be content with that!
Regarding your query re "Colonel Arthur Guy Leslie Pepys of the Northampton Regiment", all I can find in the book "Boer War Services of Officers, etc" is -
"Pepys, A.G.L. (Lt., Royal Garrison Artillery) South African war, 1899-1902. Railway Staff Officer. Operations in the Transvaal, 30 Nov. to December 1900 and March 01 to May 02. Operations in Cape Colony, Dec. 00 to March 01. Queen's medal with three clasps."
Not the same man - despite the apparent name similarities.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Jameson Raider and Boer War 4 years 7 months ago #65247

• Droocoo
Thank you for your response,

I had not seen the BSAC medal roll so thank you for providing me with this information. That's very interesting about your Jameson Raid medals, I think that's fantastic and you're very lucky to have them in your collection!

I believe that your entry in Boer War Services of Officers indeed refers to the same man. This is part of the information (as well as his MC in the Great War, MID's and wounding) that appears in Hart's Army lists. However, are you sure that the entry states "Royal Garrison Artillery"? Pepys served with the 2nd Bn Royal Garrison Regiment during the Boer War as stated on his service records. I was wondering whether he would have seen action with this unit?

Hart's Army Lists of 1919 state the following.

I was wondering whether he served with the Northamptonshire Regiment in the Transvaal and Cape Colony, and then as a Railway Staff Officer from the 9th August 1901- 2nd February 1902? Or whether he served as a Railway Staff Officer throughout this whole time?

His QSA and KSA are named to the Northamptonshire Regiment, so I am a little confused as to how the Royal Garrison Regiment comes into things? I have attached the reference from his service records.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments:

Jameson Raider and Boer War 4 years 7 months ago #65248

• Droocoo
Service Records:
Attachments:

Jameson Raider and Boer War 4 years 7 months ago #65249

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Andrew
The reference to "Royal Garrison ARTILLERY" in my initial reply was an error; the extract from "Boer War Services of Military Officers" SHOULD have read "Lt., Royal Garrison REGIMENT". Brain snap - sorry about that. Four Bns. of the Royal Garrison Regiment were sent to SA in 1904 for simple garrison duty; training, etc. As the conflict ended in 5/02, no medal for that. The RGR was disbanded in 1908.
On the WO100/193 medal roll for the 2nd Northamptons, on page 2 I saw "2nd Lt. A.G.L. Pepys" as entitled to clasps Cape Colony. Orange Free State and Transvaal on his QSA medal.
If you are certain that your man was present on the Jameson Raid and subsequently served in Rhodesia, you need to somehow make the link. I would have thought that a man who saw through four campaigns would want to see his diverse service reflected in official records.
Keep us posted about your discoveries.
Regards
IL.

Jameson Raider and Boer War 4 years 7 months ago #65257

• Adrian123456
  • Thank you received: 241
Hi

Pepys is shown as a Trooper in the Jameson Raid, and as a Prisoner.

See Keith-case.com article.

Regards
Adrian

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.515 seconds