• Page:

TOPIC:

Asmegan’s Commando 1 week 5 days ago #95368

• Neville_C
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 2029
This brief mention of Veldkornet Van Aswegen appears in an article published in the The South African Military History Society Journal, Volume 6, No. 6. Translated using Google Translate.

POSTMASBURG AND THE ANGLO-BOER WAR
by P.H.R. Snyman, MA

From June 1901, Boer commandos again became active in the area and on 10 July 1901 intercepted the mail between Postmasburg and the farm Floradale. A few weeks later, General De Villiers invaded the area a second time to create a link between General De la Rey in Western Transvaal and General J C Smuts in North-West Cape. Postmasburg fell into Boer hands a second time when commandant Edwin Conroy occupied the police station, government offices and post office on 10 August 1901. The mail between Postmasburg and Griekwastad was looted and destroyed just the day before. Loyalists such as Thomas Green (commandant of the town), Piet van Heerden (farrier) and Doors Schernan each received a beating with a sjambok from Conroy for revealing the Boers' movements and helping the English. Field Cornet J D Aucamp had to hide in a hurry on his farm Wildealsput to escape Conroy. For the rest of the war (August 1901 to May 1902) Postmasburg would again be in Boer hands.

The Boers subsequently achieved surprising success: on 10 August 1901 field cornet Van Aswegen captured 110 horses at Kareepan; on August 12, commandant Koot Kruger attacked Griekwastad, looted 800 horses and killed or wounded ten Englishmen; on August 24 the battle at Rooikoppies took place during which a civilian, A C Grove (he was buried in Postmasburg) and twelve Englishmen were killed. Two carts, 48 ​​horses and many weapons and ammunition fell into Boer hands. On September 7, five Englishmen were killed at Bonteheuwel, while the Boers got away without any losses and with 150 horses.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory, Ians1900, Gruffydd, Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Asmegan’s Commando 1 week 5 days ago #95374

• Ians1900
  • Ians1900's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 194
Thank you Neville, much appreciated.

I’d never heard this chap’s name before.

Ever come across a photograph of him. I’m trying to work out who he is in the photo.

Asmegan’s Commando 1 week 5 days ago #95375

• Smethwick
  • Thank you received: 861
Further to comment above - searching British papers for the name "Aswegen" and using the keyword "Commando" comes up with three dozen hits, all for May 1900. Her are a couple:

Worcester Journal, 12 May 1900

Liverpool Echo, 12 May 1900

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ians1900, Moranthorse1

Asmegan’s Commando 1 week 5 days ago #95376

• Rob D
  • Thank you received: 777
I expect Elmarie will have a portrait. If he's in Ian's "Asmegan" group photo, my money would be on the standing gentleman striking a pose in the dark suit, necktie and pale hat. The old man next to him with the whip is probably too old to be in command.
The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ians1900

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.890 seconds