Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Sgt.Daniel Campbell Cape MountedRiflemen & Kimberley Town Guard Help please 11 years 9 months ago #4053

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Fellow Forum members,

I have been asked to do some research for a friend and I am hoping for some help please.
My friend has the Cape of Good Hope medal with clasps Basutoland and Transkei along with his QSA with Defence Of Kimberley clasp and a Kimberley Star.
He is Sgt.Daniel Campbell Cape Mounted Riflemen and Kimberley Town Guard.
I have managed to locate his medal rolls for the QSA with correct clasp on Ancestry.
I have also located a Cape of Good Hope General Service Medal roll which shows a Pte.D.Campbell Cape Mounted Riflemen with the Basutoland/Transkei clasp.
Now I am at a dead end, can anyone offer anymore information or is that all I am likely to find.

As always thank you for any comments/info

Paul
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Sgt.Daniel Campbell Cape Mounted Rifleme & Kimberley Town Guard Help please 11 years 9 months ago #4055

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
Paul,

I have a little information from my DoK research:

Also served Kimberley Light Horse (407) 18 Nov 99 to 3 Mar 00.
CGHGSM (1) Bas [Transkei] (Pte CMR), QSA (1), KStar.
Glendining Mar 68 £58. Glendining Mar 96 £250. Dixon Dec 96 £290.

Not a lot, I agree!

Regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: Sgt.Daniel Campbell Cape Mounted Rifleme & Kimberley Town Guard Help please 11 years 9 months ago #4059

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 432
Hello Paul,

Do you know his Reg number for the CMR. It would save me a hell of a trawl if you do. There is a possibility that I could have a bit of info for you.

Regards

Adrian
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.

Re: Sgt.Daniel Campbell Cape Mounted Rifleme & Kimberley Town Guard Help please 11 years 9 months ago #4065

• coldstream
David

Thank you for your reply and the extra information, that is really useful and good to add to the list.

Many thanks
Paul :)

djb wrote: Paul,

I have a little information from my DoK research:

Also served Kimberley Light Horse (407) 18 Nov 99 to 3 Mar 00.
CGHGSM (1) Bas [Transkei] (Pte CMR), QSA (1), KStar.
Glendining Mar 68 £58. Glendining Mar 96 £250. Dixon Dec 96 £290.

Not a lot, I agree!

Regards
David

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Re: Sgt.Daniel Campbell Cape Mounted Rifleme & Kimberley Town Guard Help please 11 years 9 months ago #4066

• coldstream
Adrian

I thought you might be the man to help,but I did not assume.
Had a look through the notes my friend left me,no number for the CMR I am afraid unable to contact him, he is on holiday.
Do not put yourself to any trouble if he is too hard to find but thank you very much for your interest and reply.

Paul :)

capepolice wrote: Hello Paul,

Do you know his Reg number for the CMR. It would save me a hell of a trawl if you do. There is a possibility that I could have a bit of info for you.

Regards

Adrian

Re: Sgt.Daniel Campbell Cape Mounted Rifleme & Kimberley Town Guard Help please 11 years 9 months ago #4068

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 432
Paul,

I have some bad news I'm afraid.

I have had a look through the DD7/60 Enlistments and Defaulters book. This book dates from the earliest enlistment through to the year 1884. This book holds details such as, enlistment date, discharge date, where enlisted, age, defaulets and punishments as well as medals awarded. However, as it is the first book in a large series of books it is well worn and tatty to say the least. Many hundreds of pages are missing with your mans included. As he has the Transkei and Basutoland clasps which were both awarded for operations from Sep 1880 until April/May 1881 he would most certainly have been in this book. The Regimental numbers in DD7/60 range from 1-1500

Sorry about that.

Regards

Adrian
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.403 seconds