Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Volunteer Company Shropshire Light Infantry – Lieutenant Bernard Head 10 years 5 months ago #15356

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Howard,
As I have already said, he is shown in WO100/194 and also in WO100/111, I would also look at the London Gazette and the published Army Lists if I were you.
Regards Frank

howie wrote: Frank, Howie here again, can u pls leave a link in where u got this information from so if possible I would like to read more abt this man Bernard, that is..
Thanks Frank..

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Volunteer Company Shropshire Light Infantry – Lieutenant Bernard Head 10 years 5 months ago #15627

• JRE
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Howard,

Bernard Head was a Lieutenant in the Ellesmere Company of the 2nd Volunteer Battalion Kings Shropshire Light Infantry.

In March 1900 he was given a temporary commission in the army as Lieutenant when he joined the Volunteer Service Company which went out to South Africa. The Volunteer Service Company was made up of volunteers from the two Shropshire Volunteer Battalions and the Herefordshire volunteers and was commanded by Captain William Trow of the 1VB KSLI. Lt Bernard Head (2VB KSLI)and Lt Cutler (Hereford RVC) were the other officers.

In May 1900 Captain Trow died of enteric fever and Lt Head was appointed as temporary Captain presumably to replace Trow in command of the company. Bernard Head returned to Britain with the VSC in 1901 and resigned his Volunteer Commission in 1905.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Rob

Volunteer Company Shropshire Light Infantry – Lieutenant Bernard Head 9 years 9 months ago #21172

• 2li0
  • Thank you received: 15
Howie
I am not sure if there is any connection here but there is an officer killed in the Great War commemorated on the Ellsmere war memorial Shropshire, he was 39 when he died so could have previously served in the Boer War ?
PHIL
Major. Bernard Head, 5th Royal Welsh Fusiliers, Died-of-Wounds Gallipoli, 12/08/1915, Age 39, Son of the late Henry and Hester Head, native of Ellesmere.
Commemorated on the HELLES MEMORIAL, Turkey, Panel 77 to 80

Volunteer Company Shropshire Light Infantry – Lieutenant Bernard Head 9 years 7 months ago #22445

• howie
  • howie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi rob
Thanks for that information.
Do you know when Bernard Head joined up dates I mean and also as he went to fight in the Boer war do you have any actual dates of his arrival and departure when he departed from uk as in what port he departed from and arrived in Africa and the same as when he returned and lastly do you know the name of the troopship he was on in going to Africa and coming back to uk.
Thanks
PS if you have answers send me the sources where you got the details from and again thanks..

Volunteer Company Shropshire Light Infantry – Lieutenant Bernard Head 9 years 7 months ago #22563

• JRE
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Howard,

Bernard Head was commissioned into the 2nd VB KSLI as 2nd Lieutenant on 29/5/1895 (London Gazette 28/5/1895), was promoted to Lieutenant before 1900 (but yet to confirm date) and then promoted Captain on 9 July 1904 (Jan 1905 Army List). Cannot confirm date of temporary commission in Regular Army but he was promoted to temporary Captain on 27/5/1900 (London Gazette 10/8/1901).

Sailed to South Africa on 3/3/1900 from Albert Docks at Liverpool and arrived Cape Town 28/3/1900 (London Times Shipping Records on this website). According to a letter from a volunteer published in the Newport & Market Drayton Advertiser on 2/6/1900 the company transferred from the Ninevah to the Cephalonia at Cape Town and sailed onto East London where they disembarked but no date given. The published accounts (Hill, Parfitt or Barrett) only mention the sailing date and when the company joined the 2nd KSLI.

Head returned to UK on 11/4/1901 on the Formosa which landed 9 May 1901.

Hope this helps but the research is very much in progress.

Regards

Rob

Volunteer Company Shropshire Light Infantry – Lieutenant Bernard Head 9 years 7 months ago #22617

• Ldutoit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Seeing this message induced me to subscribe as I have recently started at looking at gathering information on William Beachy Head, (my great grandfather) who was imprisoned as one of the reform committee following the Jameson Raid. I have in my possession a printed sketch book complied for the Reform committee members where, while in prison, they each drew (blindfolded) a pig to signify the "Pig in a poke we bought from the Government of this so-called Republic" and signed their names, place, and date of birth. Beachy Head is one of them (b. Bayswater 1850) but has been annotated B Head. I wonder if there is a connection between these two? See Images attached.

Lynne
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.582 seconds