Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Boer War Scottish Christmas Tin 13 years 3 weeks ago #203

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1879
Good Morning Ladies and Gentlemen....

Please find attached some photos of the Scottish Tobacco Tin complete with mailing packaging which as with the Chocolate Tin looks like it was a piece of uniform.... I am afraid that this tin is empty as I have never seen a full one.... I guess the troops liked to smoke better than they liked to eat chocolate.....

When purchased there was a letter in the tin, transcribed below along with a clip of 4 mauser cartridges live, one casing and one silver peace/memorial medal.

SIZE: 82 mm X 100 mm X 16 mm

Inscription on top of tin "Frae Scots Tae Scots, South Africa 1900, For Auld Lang Syne".....

Yellow in colour with Green and Red Thistle and Red Shiled, Black printing.....

This tin is quite rare as I have only ever seen 3 of them for sale in the many years that I have been collecting Boer War items..... The last one sold for 300 Pounds.....

Since I wrote that last sentence a couple have popped up on ebay and have gone for a goodly amount of coin..... I was also sent a photo of one with 4 small plugs of tobacco.....

Mike

###########################################################

Johannesburg, 13th Dec, 1900
Transvaal

Dear Friend:

Just a few lines to let you know I got your present and I thank you very much for it this Box I am sending you is the one sent out by the people of Scotland to Scottish Regiments serving in South Africa I would have sent you the tobacco also only it was mildewed there is a Kruger Shilling and 6 cartridge cases 4 are still loaded and 2 are pencil cases these were taken from a dead Boer at the battle of Fredrikstad they are loaded in 5s at a time into the Mauser that is the reason of the clip to hold them I conclude wishing you a Merry Xmas & a Happy New Year

Pte. S Ferguson
2nd Royal Scots Fusiliers
E Coy South African Field Force
South Africa

Coming Next, that is if you are interested, The Devonshire Regiment Christmas Tin 1901....
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Boer War Scottish Christmas Tin 13 years 2 weeks ago #204

• Mark Wilkie
  • Thank you received: 45
A wonderful piece to have in your collection, Mike,
Looking forward Devonshire Regiment Christmas Tin !

Re: Boer War Scottish Christmas Tin 11 years 5 months ago #6325

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1879

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=DavidBig-ABW-PRD-5bff6a2ad-934180e3&siteid=3&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=330822383186&version=889&trackingid=djb023&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Re: Boer War Scottish Christmas Tin 11 years 5 months ago #6330

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
Mike,

It is notable that your tin is in much better condition than the one for sale on eBay. Yours must have been very cherished over the years.

Is it unusual to see the tobacco still in these tins? I guess it is like finding chocolate still in those tins after all these years.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: Boer War Scottish Christmas Tin 11 years 5 months ago #6333

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Great find Mike,
A super piece of history, thanks for sharing with us.

Paul :)

QSAMIKE wrote: Good Morning Ladies and Gentlemen....

Please find attached some photos of the Scottish Tobacco Tin complete with mailing packaging which as with the Chocolate Tin looks like it was a piece of uniform.... I am afraid that this tin is empty as I have never seen a full one.... I guess the troops liked to smoke better than they liked to eat chocolate.....

When purchased there was a letter in the tin, transcribed below along with a clip of 4 mauser cartridges live, one casing and one silver peace/memorial medal.

SIZE: 82 mm X 100 mm X 16 mm

Inscription on top of tin "Frae Scots Tae Scots, South Africa 1900, For Auld Lang Syne".....

Yellow in colour with Green and Red Thistle and Red Shiled, Black printing.....

This tin is quite rare as I have only ever seen 3 of them for sale in the many years that I have been collecting Boer War items..... The last one sold for 300 Pounds.....

Since I wrote that last sentence a couple have popped up on ebay and have gone for a goodly amount of coin..... I was also sent a photo of one with 4 small plugs of tobacco.....

Mike

###########################################################

Johannesburg, 13th Dec, 1900
Transvaal

Dear Friend:

Just a few lines to let you know I got your present and I thank you very much for it this Box I am sending you is the one sent out by the people of Scotland to Scottish Regiments serving in South Africa I would have sent you the tobacco also only it was mildewed there is a Kruger Shilling and 6 cartridge cases 4 are still loaded and 2 are pencil cases these were taken from a dead Boer at the battle of Fredrikstad they are loaded in 5s at a time into the Mauser that is the reason of the clip to hold them I conclude wishing you a Merry Xmas & a Happy New Year

Pte. S Ferguson
2nd Royal Scots Fusiliers
E Coy South African Field Force
South Africa

Coming Next, that is if you are interested, The Devonshire Regiment Christmas Tin 1901....

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Re: Boer War Scottish Christmas Tin 11 years 5 months ago #6334

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=DavidBig-ABW-PRD-5bff6a2ad-934180e3&siteid=3&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=330822383186&version=889&trackingid=djb023&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.268 seconds