Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Imperial Hospital Corps 7 years 4 months ago #49449

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Cherritt joined the Imperial Hospital Corps at Durban on the 5th of April 1900 and served as an Orderly, he was discharged on the 28th of November that same year, he is very clearly shown in WO100/249 for his entitlement to the Natal clasp only, the obvious thing to do next would be a manual search in WO126/52-54 at Kew.
The Imperial Hospital Corps had been raised in Durban on the 2nd of April, so Cherritt was very much a founder member, unlike the NVAC, a portion of these men came from across the Empire, from memory, their establishment was some seven hundred men, sixty Leaders and six hundred and forty orderlies, a percentage of the Corps remained in the field and was actually disbanded after Vereeniging, in Pietermaritzburg on the 30th of July 1902.
Once the campaign in Natal had been successfully concluded, there would, doubtless, have been less of a need for such a large organisation to back up the RAMC, but, really this had become a financial issue, these men were being very well paid, the war was becoming increasingly expensive and by 1901 there was considerable pressure being applied in some quarters in end it.

Mark wrote: Hi Brett, Thank you for the information its a great help.
You mention that
"Most of the recruitment in the IHC took place in Maritzburg and Durban during April,and May 1900."
Were these men who recruited taken from other units, were they recruited from the public?
I am trying to establish if Stephen Cherritt was recruited in England or South Africa.

The last time he showed up in England was on the 1881 Census aged 26, occupation a printer. Then he disappears leaving a wife in England,reappearing in the Imperial Hospital Corps. The Nominal Roll 2 as mentioned previously shows him as noted "Reduction in Unit" - he does not appear to have returned to England as no further records of him.
Can only assume he stayed in South Africa as Adrian suggested possibly obtaining employment for the South African Government as a Bookbinder.

Have you any ideas what the men did when the Reduction in Unit was applied?

Once again very many thanks for your kind assistance.
Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Imperial Hospital Corps 7 years 4 months ago #49454

• Mark
  • Mark's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Brett,
Once again thank for your kind assistance, every little bit of information helps greatly.
Very Best Wishes
Mark.

Imperial Hospital Corps 7 years 4 months ago #49455

• Mark
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hello Frank,
Any bit of information and the background is so gratefully received and immensely helpful.
Thank you so much for your kind assistance.
Best Wishes
Mark.

Imperial Hospital Corps 7 years 4 months ago #49460

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Well, I would certainly take a careful look at WO126/52-54 if I were you, if his paper has survived it should give you a better idea of where he came from, an address should be on there and perhaps where he intended to go after his SAMIF service

Imperial Hospital Corps 7 years 4 months ago #49464

• Mark
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you Frank,
I have asked National Archives to have a look for me. I will see what they say . I will let you know.
BI for now.
Mark.

Imperial Hospital Corps 7 years 3 months ago #50308

• Mark
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hello Frank, Well I did contact the National Archives and yes they had his enrollment form in the Imperial Hospital Corps. It confirmed his wife's address in the England.It also confirmed his occupation as a printer.
Thank you so much for your help it has settled many questions.
Best Wishes
Mark.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.712 seconds