TOPIC:

Training Period 5 years 6 months ago #60453

• kiltermon
  • kiltermon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello,
I should have asked why you say the medal is a scarce example? also do you mean that it also has a 1901 date clasp as well as the Cape Colony, Orange Free State and Transvaal clasp? and I've gone through the section fo records you mentioned and cannot see anything regarding my Grandad. Sorry to ask but can you verify all this when you have time please..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Training Period 5 years 6 months ago #60457

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
The medal rolls are at Kew and available whilst there and are available online via their own site or ancestry.
He earned the medal and four clasps, including South Africa 1901 for his service in the war.
Regarding this particular medal and I'm talking to you now as a medal collector, it is relatively scarce simply because this sort of medal is sought after.
The name of the recipient, it's a great name, a very distinctive name, a good Irish sounding name, the fact he was a dedicated Militiaman right up to the point the Militia became the Special Reserve upon the formation of the Territorial Force.
The regiment, it was a superb regiment, full of real characters and of course, importantly, they were Irish, a regiment widely collected to more and more these days.
Put it all together and you have the perfect storm, or simply put it this way, I'd buy it, and I suspect many others would too, in actual fact, I'd be quite happy to pay above and beyond if I saw it, anyway, I wish you bon chance.

His regiment

kiltermon wrote: Hello,
I should have asked why you say the medal is a scarce example? also do you mean that it also has a 1901 date clasp as well as the Cape Colony, Orange Free State and Transvaal clasp? and I've gone through the section fo records you mentioned and cannot see anything regarding my Grandad. Sorry to ask but can you verify all this when you have time please..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.556 seconds