Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2

TOPIC: Brought home a Kaffir boy

Brought home a Kaffir boy 2 months 1 week ago #62767

  • SWB
  • SWB's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
  • Posts: 1603
  • Thank you received: 340
Hello Frank

I cannot check my records now but I am sure I have seen colonials in Effects. However, in this thread I am not suggesting there are any Cape Police represented, but that FE Ward's dead brother may well be. As we don't know the deceased's first name Effects could identify him.

Regards
Meurig

Frank Kelley wrote: Hello Meruig,
Are there actually members of the Cape Police, in the NAM's Register of Soldiers Effects?
Regards Frank


SWB wrote: Sgt 261 E Ward II District Cape Police.

Fifty-seven men by the surname of 'Ward' died in the war. Would need to go though Soldier's Effects on Ancestry to see if the next of kin mentioned are either the brother or parents.


Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/

Brought home a Kaffir boy 2 months 1 week ago #62773

  • Frank Kelley
  • Frank Kelley's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
  • Posts: 6127
  • Thank you received: 757
Hello Meurig,
Sorry, I should have made myself clear, but, that is what I wanted to know, I just wondered, I have seen odd men throughout the register, such as members of the Union Defence Force who lost their life in the Great War for example.
Regards Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Brought home a Kaffir boy 2 months 6 days ago #62776

  • SWB
  • SWB's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
  • Posts: 1603
  • Thank you received: 340

Frank Kelley wrote: Hello Meurig,
Sorry, I should have made myself clear, but, that is what I wanted to know, I just wondered, I have seen odd men throughout the register, such as members of the Union Defence Force who lost their life in the Great War for example.
Regards Frank


Here is the list of units I have found in Effects (so far)

British South Africa Police
Canadian Field Artillery Royal
Cape Medical Staff Corps
Cape Mounted Rifles
Civilian
Colonial Scouts
Commander-in-Chief's Bodyguard
Damant's Horse
Duke Of Edinburgh's Volunteer Rifles
Imperial Light Horse
Imperial Light Infantry
Imperial Yeomanry Scouts
Kaffrarian Rifles
Kitchener's Horse
Marshall's Horse
Natal Carbineers
Prince Of Wales Light Horse
Railway Pioneer Regiment
Rand Rifles
Rhodesian Regiment

Similarly for WO97 there are a few colonials filed there.

All this shows you cannot dismiss a resource just because of it's title; such as "World War 1" in WO363 or W364, which are full of pre-1914 era discharges.

For me this is a raison d'etre for "super-resources", such as The Register, that knit various resources together.

Regards

Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank Kelley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/

Brought home a Kaffir boy 2 months 6 days ago #62777

  • BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
  • Posts: 1704
  • Thank you received: 732
There seems to have been a Company of the Essex Regiment based in Bishop Stortford at that time, and there are three Wards named on the regimental memorial - 4851 Private C. Ward, died 5th July 1901, 7013 Private W. Ward, died 15th February 1902, and 6358 Private C. Ward, died 17th February 1902. W. Ward was from Chelmsford, so can probably be discounted - how about one of the C. Wards being Sergeant F. E. Ward's brother?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Brought home a Kaffir boy 2 months 6 days ago #62778

  • SWB
  • SWB's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
  • Posts: 1603
  • Thank you received: 340

BereniceUK wrote: There seems to have been a Company of the Essex Regiment based in Bishop Stortford at that time, and there are three Wards named on the regimental memorial - 4851 Private C. Ward, died 5th July 1901, 7013 Private W. Ward, died 15th February 1902, and 6358 Private C. Ward, died 17th February 1902. W. Ward was from Chelmsford, so can probably be discounted - how about one of the C. Wards being Sergeant F. E. Ward's brother?


Sorry, Effects seems to discount them:
4851 - Grandparents, James & Ann Ward [interesting, assuming he did not live with his parents or was an orphan]
6358 - Father, William
7013 - Father, Edward

Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/

Brought home a Kaffir boy 2 months 4 days ago #62790

  • Frank Kelley
  • Frank Kelley's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
  • Posts: 6127
  • Thank you received: 757
Thanks Meurig,
So it would certainly appear quite likely for unfortunate members of the Cape Police to be found within it's pages.
Regards Frank



SWB wrote:
Here is the list of units I have found in Effects (so far)

British South Africa Police
Canadian Field Artillery Royal
Cape Medical Staff Corps
Cape Mounted Rifles
Civilian
Colonial Scouts
Commander-in-Chief's Bodyguard
Damant's Horse
Duke Of Edinburgh's Volunteer Rifles
Imperial Light Horse
Imperial Light Infantry
Imperial Yeomanry Scouts
Kaffrarian Rifles
Kitchener's Horse
Marshall's Horse
Natal Carbineers
Prince Of Wales Light Horse
Railway Pioneer Regiment
Rand Rifles
Rhodesian Regiment

Similarly for WO97 there are a few colonials filed there.

All this shows you cannot dismiss a resource just because of it's title; such as "World War 1" in WO363 or W364, which are full of pre-1914 era discharges.

For me this is a raison d'etre for "super-resources", such as The Register, that knit various resources together.

Regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2
Moderators: djb
Powered by Kunena Forum