Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Holders of both the Queen's South Africa Medal and the China War Medal 4 years 3 months ago #67618

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2300
Another recipient of both medals would seem to have been Private Edmund Howard, of Oldham.

"Mr. Edwin Howard, 55, Littlemoor-lane [of Oldham], has received a letter from his son, Private Edmund Howard, of the St. John Ambulance Corps, now on the hospital ship Maine on the Chinese station. The letter, which is as follows, was dated from Wei-Hai-Wei, October 23rd: - "Your letter received. I just wanted something to cheer me up. I have been working hard with fever cases...……... We are going to get a fine medal for South Africa, and one for China, which will be a cross and a bar. I have got some curios, and I hope to bring them home safe this time." It is interesting to note that a telegram to the American Ladies' Committee in London on November 21 stated that the Maine, on which Howard had an Oldham companion, Wilson, was sailing to Hong Kong with invalids from the British and Austrian forces."

Oldham Evening Chronicle, 1st December 1900
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Holders of both the Queen's South Africa Medal and the China War Medal 3 years 10 months ago #70048

• BereniceUK
Edward Joseph Evans, of Carmarthen, died and buried at Finchingfield, near Braintree, Essex..

……We regret to record the death of Mr Edward Evans …... which took place at his home in Essex on the 10th [11th?] inst. The deceased, who had been a member of the [Royal] Army Medical Corps, had served through the Boer War, and also took part in the operations in China during the relief of the Pekin legations, when besieged by the Boxers.

Carmarthen Weekly Reporter, Friday 18th June 1909

Holders of both the Queen's South Africa Medal and the China War Medal 3 years 7 months ago #71434

• BereniceUK
Private John James, Royal Welsh Fusiliers, was awarded both medals. He was murdered near Formby, Lancashire, on 17th May 1903, and at the time of his death was in the 1st Battalion.

"Private Jack James served through the South African war and in the Chinese expedition, and was present with the combined force which effected the relief of the Peking Legations."
Weekly Mail, 23.5.1903

Holders of both the Queen's South Africa Medal and the China War Medal 3 years 7 months ago #71438

• David Grant
  • Thank you received: 315
Howard's China medal was previously in the collection of Dr A.L.Lloyd. Howard was born in America - Edwin had been a cowboy.

BereniceUK wrote: Another recipient of both medals would seem to have been Private Edmund Howard, of Oldham.

"Mr. Edwin Howard, 55, Littlemoor-lane [of Oldham], has received a letter from his son, Private Edmund Howard, of the St. John Ambulance Corps, now on the hospital ship Maine on the Chinese station. The letter, which is as follows, was dated from Wei-Hai-Wei, October 23rd: - "Your letter received. I just wanted something to cheer me up. I have been working hard with fever cases...……... We are going to get a fine medal for South Africa, and one for China, which will be a cross and a bar. I have got some curios, and I hope to bring them home safe this time." It is interesting to note that a telegram to the American Ladies' Committee in London on November 21 stated that the Maine, on which Howard had an Oldham companion, Wilson, was sailing to Hong Kong with invalids from the British and Austrian forces."

Oldham Evening Chronicle, 1st December 1900

Looking for Salutries, Salootries and Veterinary Duffadars.
I collect primarily QSAs to Indian Recipients.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.787 seconds