Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Interesting or Odd, Trades and Occupations of Our Men and Women 4 years 1 week ago #68729

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2304
Somewhere I have the name of a Reservist from Preesall, Lancashire, who was a salt miner.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Interesting or Odd, Trades and Occupations of Our Men and Women 4 years 1 week ago #68734

• davidh
  • Thank you received: 246
This is an interesting topic and got me checking through the occupations of men whose medals I have.

Among the unusual or obsolete occupations are:

Firework maker
Chandlier worker
Tenter (Textiles. A tenter stretched fabric on a frame which is where the phrase 'on tenterhooks' originated)
Piecer (Textiles)
Striker (Presumably metal working)
Costermonger
Finisher (Shoe making)
Rubber hand (No idea!)
Tin man
Key maker
Currier (Leather industry)
Iron dresser
Iron twiner
Master tailor
Newsagent
Whitesmith
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Interesting or Odd, Trades and Occupations of Our Men and Women 3 years 6 months ago #72109

• BereniceUK
John Reddington, a Reservist, was a "private constable" at the Empire Palace of Varieties, Middlesbrough, when he was recalled to his (unknown) regiment in November 1899 - possibly the Yorkshire Regiment (?), it being Middlesbrough.

Interesting or Odd, Trades and Occupations of Our Men and Women 3 years 6 months ago #72111

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I assume that to have been 1996 Private J Reddington King's own Yorkshire Light Infantry.
Actually no it can't be, he was James a former Shoe maker/trader.
There was a 3406 Private John Reddington in the 3rd Yorkshire Regiment from Leeds, who had been an Army Reservist in the regiment at the point he joined the Militia battalion.

BereniceUK wrote: John Reddington, a Reservist, was a "private constable" at the Empire Palace of Varieties, Middlesbrough, when he was recalled to his (unknown) regiment in November 1899 - possibly the Yorkshire Regiment (?), it being Middlesbrough.

The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Interesting or Odd, Trades and Occupations of Our Men and Women 3 years 6 months ago #72117

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1879
I have been making a nominal roll for The Canadian Scouts from their enrolemnt documents and have found a few interesting occupations:

38984 SHOEING-SMITH, THERIAULT, JOSEPH ALPHONSE, OCCUPATION INSURANCE AGENT

40487 TROOPER THOMPSON, ARTHUR KING, OCCUPATION GLASS BLOWER

118 SERGEANT, THORNE, ERNEST ST. ALVIN, OCCUPATION BICYCLE DESIGNER AND MANUFACTURER

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Interesting or Odd, Trades and Occupations of Our Men and Women 3 years 6 months ago #72124

• BereniceUK
From The Worker (Brisbane), 20/1/1900: -
....There are 33 alleged bushmen in the second contingent, 4 graziers and 4 station overseers, besides 3 grocers, 2 commercial travellers, 2 sugar planters, 2 commission agents, 2 barristers, 1 solicitor, 2 law students, 1 schoolmaster, 1 bank manager, 1 dentist, 1 gaol warder, 1 photographer, 1 sugarmill overseer, 1 mining secretary, 1 gentleman's servant, 1 diver, 1 telegraph operator, and 10 clerks.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.473 seconds