• Page:

TOPIC:

Bill Woolmore book: Bushveldt Carbineers 4 years 3 weeks ago #68501

• Cirohennessey
  • Cirohennessey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi all I'm new to the forum. I was hoping a forum member would know where to find a copy of this illusive book? Or has one for sale?
Cheers
Cirohennessey

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bill Woolmore book: Bushveldt Carbineers 4 years 3 weeks ago #68503

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2300

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=DavidBig-ABW-PRD-5bff6a2ad-934180e3&siteid=3&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=163489038176&version=889&trackingid=djb023&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Bill Woolmore book: Bushveldt Carbineers 4 years 3 weeks ago #68504

• Cirohennessey
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
it's quite a lot of money considering I don't really know how useful a resource it is?
Do any members have a copy , maybe tell me the contents ?
Cirohennessey

Bill Woolmore book: Bushveldt Carbineers 4 years 3 weeks ago #68523

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
Here is an extract:

'Hawkins Charles Smith, Trooper No.142 (BVC): Born Derbyshire, England on 8 March 1869. Previous service with the 20th Coy Imperial Yeomanry, and as No.25225 in the Commander-in-Chief's Bodyguard as Trooper C.E.Hawkins from 1 December 1900 to 21 January 1901 when he was discharged as 'undesirable'. Enlisted in the BVC at Durban on 11 April 1901 - age 32, engineer, height 5' 9", 9 stone, brown eyes, black hair. NOK: William Hawkins, Blackbrook Belber, Derbyshire, England. Note on bottom of attestation form reads 'This man came from Montreal, Canada to take part in the war'. Discharged from BVC on 8 October 1901. He qualified for the QSA medal with clasps Cape Colony, OFS, Transvaal & SA 1901 but because of his behaviour he was awarded the medal with Transvaal and SA 1901 only. His medal was one of the few actually named 'Bushveldt Carbineers'. He privately had the rank removed from his medal which would indicate he did not admit to being a mere trooper.'
Dr David Biggins

Bill Woolmore book: Bushveldt Carbineers 4 years 3 weeks ago #68530

• Cirohennessey
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you for posting that example. I decided to bite the bullet and bought a copy from Australia so it's going to take a few weeks to arrive, but it's something to look forward to whilst on lockdown with covid 19. Final question is the book quite highly illustrated?
Cheers
Cirohennessey

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.531 seconds