Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 3 years 5 months ago #71943

• Moranthorse1
  • Thank you received: 742
David,
I did it the other way around.
I picked up the QSA to1046 Trooper John Edwin Roberts with single Transvaal clasp named to SH then got the book!
But I wouldn't turn down another medal to the unit if one came my way.
The reference is so useful in finding men who served previously in SH. There are hidden gems out there if you do your homework.
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 3 years 5 months ago #71945

• David Grant
  • Thank you received: 315

djb wrote: David,

I was interested to see the picture they chose for the cover of the book and wonder if that was intentional?

I am sure it was not but al least they did not use the wrong medal as these editors did - & Nasson is a client of mine!

Looking for Salutries, Salootries and Veterinary Duffadars.
I collect primarily QSAs to Indian Recipients.
Attachments:

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 3 years 5 months ago #71947

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2294
....Came across the last copy of 'The Boer War 1899-1902,' a Britain at War Magazine stand-alone issue, in the magazine section of a large supermarket. Large, glossy format, 116 pages for £7.99. The quality and number of illustrations and photos is impressive, and I liked the seven pages of pen-pictures of every ABW VC winner. Not so sure about a side-bar feature on cordite eating by soldiers (in comparison the St John Ambulance Brigade got a mention in one sentence). The source for the cordite eating piece seems to be a single article which appeared in the British Medical Journal in 1903, which then got some coverage in newspapers around the UK.
....There's also Pieter's Hill and Peter's Hill on the same page.

....This would be an excellent buy for someone just beginning to get an interest in the war.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 3 years 5 months ago #71974

• jim51
  • Thank you received: 104
The book Bushveldt Carbineers & Pietersburg L.H. is definitely a good book, but 180+ quid is more than a big ask. Have you checked ebay? I am sure I have seen copies advertised for a lot less.

Cheers,

Jim
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 3 years 5 months ago #71976

• Moranthorse1
  • Thank you received: 742
Thanks for the advice. I do keep an eye on ebay and all of the online booksellers. I have found a couple of of book dealers in Australia that advertise the book at half the price of UK. But they do not post abroad. The sear h goes on.
Cheers
Steve

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 3 years 5 months ago #71980

• Rob D
  • Thank you received: 720
I was looking for a copy of Tylden's "The Armed Forces of South Africa 1659-1954" and was pleased to see it can be downloaded free here
www.twirpx.com/file/1430476/
Now, this is a Russian site which requires one to register, which gave me pause for thought - but I took the plunge and so far I am not radio-active...
The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.688 seconds