Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Scottish Horse 11 years 9 months ago #3801

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
After lookin through Mike's superb collection of badges I came across these in my collection.
Though not of the period I thought they might be of some interest.
I also found a nice postcard of the Scottish Horse I am guessing this would be Great War period.
Any comments and information as always most welcome.

Paul
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Scottish Horse 11 years 9 months ago #3808

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Paul,
I would agree with you on the date and would say WW1 or perhaps 1920's, don't know very much about the Scotish Horse, but they did have a bewildering array of badges over the years.
The original "Scotish Horse" that was raised for the Boer War and in 1902 became part of the Transvaal Volunteers, was disbanded in 1907, it was NOT the same Regt as the one in the British Army Territorial Force and Territorial Army.
Regards Frank.

Re: Scottish Horse 11 years 9 months ago #3811

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Hi Paul.....

I hate to say it but the man sitting on the right with the hands on his shoulders looks like he has hit the SRD.....

Maybe the guy behind him is holding him up........ :P

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Re: Scottish Horse 11 years 9 months ago #3813

• iaindh
  • Thank you received: 35

Frank Kelley wrote: Hello Paul,
I would agree with you on the date and would say WW1 or perhaps 1920's, don't know very much about the Scotish Horse, but they did have a bewildering array of badges over the years.
The original "Scotish Horse" that was raised for the Boer War and in 1902 became part of the Transvaal Volunteers, was disbanded in 1907, it was NOT the same Regt as the one in the British Army Territorial Force and Territorial Army.
Regards Frank.

Hi all,

Just to clarify the origins:
The Scottish Horse were raised for the South African War in Johannesburg, Cape Town and Pietermaritzburg and expanded to two regiments.

The 1st and 2nd Scottish Horse were formed from Australian & South African volunteers plus drafts from Scotland. In 1902. after the conclusion of the Boer war, both regiments were disbanded at Edinburgh Castle, after repatriating Australians and discharging South Africans.

Later in 1902 the Scottish Horse were reconstituted as two regiments by the Duke of Atholl, both claiming descent from the original Scottish Horse.
The link was the Marquis of Tullibardine, the son of the Duke of Atholl, who commanded the original Scottish Horse and of course became the next Duke of Atholl. The 2 regiments were:

A British Army Regiment that went on to serve in both WWs.
A Volunteer Regiment in Transvaal Army. By June 1906 it was 396 men strong, however it was disbanded in 1907 in favour of the Transvaal's Imperial Light Horse.
To this day, piper's of the Transvaal Scottish, who have their roots in the Transvaal Scottish Volunteers, wear the Tullibardine tartan.
There is an identical monument to the Scottish Horse both in Edinburgh, I believe on the Royal Mile and in Jo'burg on Caledonia hill.

regards,
Iain

Re: Scottish Horse 11 years 9 months ago #3816

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Iain,
Very many thanks for your helpful post, all I could remember was that the Territorial British Regt was not the same one as the oringinal Scotish Horse.
Best Regards Frank

PS, Do you have any Boer War Scotish Horse badges or medals?

Re: Scottish Horse 11 years 9 months ago #3817

• iaindh
  • Thank you received: 35
Hi Frank,

glad you enjoyed it :)
There is a lot of confusion about the dates, primarily because of the 2 almost parallel regts, one GB one SA, and you read different accounts and get different dates.

To answer your question, I was an avid British Military badge collector before coming to SA in '88. I was then dormant as I had no connections but then found the British Military Forum website about a year ago. This also has Canadian, OZ and SA sections. After initially pursuing British badges again, I decided it was a lot easier to collect SA badges. So my SA collection is young. I dont collect medals, cant afford the 2 :(
I dont have any Scottish horse badges as yet but have quite a few Transvaal Scottish and I love researching.
I believe Paul's first badge, (without the crown,) is the SA Scottish Horse, circe 1902 to 1907, 598 in Owen's.

regards,
Iain

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.589 seconds