Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Bronze medals 9 years 4 months ago #24333

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Brett
I understood that the issue of silver medals (SAGS/CoGH)to "native" troops was because they were fighting alongside "white" troops against "native opponents". The rationale behind the issue of bronze QSAs to "non whites" was - again as I understand it - because the opponent in that instance was "white". May I say, without a skerrick of PC, that I do find such terms offensive and illogical. If someone was on the side of the Queen/King, they all faced some danger if anywhere near an ill-defined "front"; especially those unfortunate native drivers and others who were shot out of hand by the Boers on numerous occasions.
I am certain that certain officials (especially officers who served in the field in the later stages of the war) would have felt that the issue of bronze QSAs or, indeed, NO medal at all, was quite unjust.
Fortunately, one of my three bronze QSAs is shown on the medal roll as being in the siege of Ladysmith (even as just a "kneader"). Serving Her Majesty, nevertheless.
Regards
IL.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bronze medals 9 years 4 months ago #24341

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
IL

Thank you for your comments.

I have trolled through the Medal Yearbook and it seems that the British started issuing bronze medals with the IGS Burma 1885-87 Medal, and thereafter this metal was used for the medals of 'native troops' in campaigns in India and Africa up to and including World War I. The exception was during WWI itself when bronze medals were issued to people of colour who served in the European theatre of war as well. In a foretaste of what lay ahead in South Africa's social engineering, the bronze British War Medal was denied to men who served (and died) in the SA Native Labour Corps.***

It seems that, at least in Britain, wiser heads prevailed thereafter. The issuing of bronze medals may have saved a little money, but it probably made no sense to the men of different races who fought together for Queen (and King) and Country. It certainly bedevilled race relations in the Colony of Natal in the early 1900's.

Regards
Brett

***Considering their tribulations, merchant seamen were rather insultingly also issued with a bronze medal during WWI. Apparently, the only notable exception thereafter was the unusual case of the WWII Newfoundland Volunteer War Service Medal.

Bronze medals 9 years 4 months ago #24349

• David Grant
  • Thank you received: 315

LinneyI wrote: Brett
I understood that the issue of silver medals (SAGS/CoGH)to "native" troops was because they were fighting alongside "white" troops against "native opponents". The rationale behind the issue of bronze QSAs to "non whites" was - again as I understand it - because the opponent in that instance was "white". May I say, without a skerrick of PC, that I do find such terms offensive and illogical. If someone was on the side of the Queen/King, they all faced some danger if anywhere near an ill-defined "front"; especially those unfortunate native drivers and others who were shot out of hand by the Boers on numerous occasions.
I am certain that certain officials (especially officers who served in the field in the later stages of the war) would have felt that the issue of bronze QSAs or, indeed, NO medal at all, was quite unjust.
Fortunately, one of my three bronze QSAs is shown on the medal roll as being in the siege of Ladysmith (even as just a "kneader"). Serving Her Majesty, nevertheless.
Regards
IL.

Not over sure about the above.

The SAGS predates the bronze issue of medals and the the CoGHGS was a post Boer War issue when bronze medals were loosing already losing favour due to the racial nature of their distribution.

But I would come out and support the officials at Whitehall who tried to implement the proposals as pertaining to bronze or silver issues of the QSA,

Certainly there seemed to be, in the papers that I have, an implicit understanding of the regulation that the bronze medals were for all non-attested civilian or non-frontline troops or "Followers". Then Lord Kitchener got involved on one side saying that silvers should be given to natives of Europe, as well as others saying that silver medals should be given to the equally brave natives of the Colonies. The bronze issue to engine drivers, transport personnel, nurses etc. as originally envisaged was gradually eroded by firstly giving anyone a silver medal if they had been under fire; secondly by being included in Lord Kitchener's Despatch and finally by Lord Kitchener's own prejudice. The mess was due to Lord Kitchener's involvement against the provisions of the AO. The frustration is very clear from the officials trying to make sense of spur of the moment decisions and prejudice against race or class.

The issue of clasps or no clasps is also tense.

From what I can make out the issue of clasps to the QSA would only be if the recipient had been under fire. Otherwise a dated clasp would have been issued in the same way as a SAGS Medal clasp. So a "South Africa 1899-1900" would have been issued as well as all the other possibilities. I have evidence that this was implemented for Indian Troops. So a "South Africa 1902" clasp was issued without the addition of Colony clasps because the recipient was not under fire. This decision was to apply to bronze and silver issues. I get the impression that the pedantic benign neglect of those in authority was responsible for the demise of the idea. They simply ran out of enthusiasm.
Looking for Salutries, Salootries and Veterinary Duffadars.
I collect primarily QSAs to Indian Recipients.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Bronze medals 3 years 10 months ago #69902

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Book 2. Page 4

Bronze medals - Return from South Africa
68/SA/8719

COO, South Africa, notifies return of 22,699 from Capetown, and 3,941 from Pretoria, total 26,640. Medals received but deficiency of 4 from Capetown. Returned to Mint 11-10-05 and clear receipt given 3.1 06.

68/SA/286

COO, South Africa, notifies return of 2,000 (received by him from the Natal Government). Received but 2 deficient. Clear receipt given and medals sent to Mint, 24.1.06

68/SA/4482

COO, South Africa, proposes to return all medals in store after 31.12.07 , as after that date applications will be barred by lapse of time (vide WO letter AG2/M/15471 of 12.7.07). Approved

1.019 from Pretoria - Received but one deficient
974 from Capetown - Received correct
AG notified on 68/SA/4482, 2.5.08

2,438 returned to Mint, leaving stock of 940
AG notified on 68/SA/4482, 10.6.08
Dr David Biggins

Bronze medals 3 years 10 months ago #69941

• Rob D
  • Thank you received: 767
Could I ask about bronze medals to the Indian Ambulance Corps? [not to be confused with the white Natal Volunteer Ambulance Corps].
In Ghandi's autobiography he writes:
"Our corps was 1,100 strong, with nearly 40 leaders....General Buller mentioned with appreciation the work of the corps in his despatch, and the leaders were awarded the War Medal"
I'd be interested to know how many medals were awarded to Ghandi's Indian Ambulance Corps, and whether they were bronze.
Rob
The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past.

Bronze medals 3 years 10 months ago #69948

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Hello Rob,

I am only aware of silver medals to the leaders of the NIVAC.

There is a discussion here: www.angloboerwar.com/forum/5-medals-and-...ulance-corps?start=0

David G will be be able to confirm, I am sure.

Kind regards
David
Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.452 seconds