Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

January 22nd 7 years 3 months ago #51546

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Perhaps the NCO's were all indisposed with the dread diseases doing the rounds, so, in their absence, Crosby made up some new rules

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

January 22nd 6 years 2 months ago #57514

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4543
1900 - From the diary of Major George Tatham, Natal Carbineers

Shelling as usual. 116 of our fellows reported to have entered hospital sick this day. The fever patients are alarmingly on the increase all through the garrison.
Dr David Biggins

January 22nd 2 years 3 months ago #80956

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4543
1899 - Diary of the siege of Mafeking by Edward Ross

Monday, 22 January

Big Ben commenced shelling us at 6.45 a.m. and between that time and midday sent us in the usual quantity of about 8 or 9, and I suppose would have continued during the afternoon only that they do not like water, and as it rained for some considerable time they desisted and gave us a respite. Of course the little 5-pounder was interwoven with the "big ’uns” every now and again but she seldom does any damage. Nothing happened much during the day. I developed photos all the afternoon in our dugout.

Our usual time for receiving the enemy’s good-night big gun has for some time past been about 8 p.m. or a little later, but I suppose Mr. Boer thought with his slimness he would surprise us and catch us on the hop this evening, so let her go at 7.25. She struck in the town but bumped and went to Hades having done no damage. This was followed up at 8.30 by a 5pounder coming whizzing over, striking between Early’s fort and the river.

At about 8.50 p.m. a lot of rifle-firing was going on at Cannon Kopje; the Boers must have crept in very close, as the flash of rifles could plainly be seen and looked as if they were within about 400 yards. The Kopje replied and nothing more was heard. It is thought the Boers were probably firing on natives trying to get out to go and sneak more cattle.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.359 seconds