TOPIC:

January 29th 7 years 3 months ago #51677

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4543
An acquired taste, perhaps?

Wouldn't it be so interesting to be able to talk with those who went through the siege.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

January 29th 7 years 3 months ago #51680

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Certainly not one I'd ever hope to acquire, notwithstanding, I dare say, on occasion, needs must.:(
It would be interesting to talk to those besieged, but, I do not think you would get a general change of opinion, the situation was desperate, disease a major issue, I'm glad those poor people did not have too much longer to endure the awful privations.

January 29th 6 years 2 months ago #57521

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Major George Tatham, Natal Carbineers

Royston well enough to visit outposts with me this morning. These men reported seeing beacon light and a rocket or two through the Lombard's Kop Nek at the back of Bulwan. Went to Observation Hill, saw all Boer camps appeared to be settled again. "Natal Witness" of the 19th inst. has account of killed and a nice letter of Sir H. Hutchinson. Old Munger said he had lost David Munger's wagon. After some search I recovered it for the old man. Various stories about Buller, heavy losses on both sides. Many shots about the town and Convent from Long Tom, also some old fashioned round shot from a new gun placed on Surprise Hill.
Dr David Biggins

January 29th 2 years 3 months ago #81184

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1899 - Diary of the siege of Mafeking by Edward Ross

Monday, 29 January

The Boers opened as per usual with Big Ben and sent in two shells about breakfast-time, both passing right over the town. With the exception of one or two other shells the enemy have been more quiet than usual today.

A lot of newspaper cuttings were posted up at Dixon’s this morning, but being about a month old there is nothing very new in them except details of fights.

A letter received by Tracey this morning says the idea down below is that they consider the war will be virtually over by the end of February.

One of the Boers at the brickfields was shot today by some of our outposts. The enemy’s Red Cross flag was seen to advance and take the body in.

Raining this afternoon and looks as if it is setting in for all night.

The runner in this morning reports that one of our native despatch carriers was shot by the Boers last week, and also that a native woman had her breast cut off for the same offence. What ghouls and murderers these great unwashed hogs are.

Queen’s cable and R. Kipling’s poem were published in today’s slip. The former’s message was received with great enthusiasm.

Young Luke Green, found on guard asleep last night, has been turned out of the Town Guard. Sorry for this but cannot be helped.

Two native women in [the] stadt were today killed by [a] Big Ben shell. One was frightfully mangled; all the damage done by the other shell was to knock the horn off a cow.

Our boys have been out on another very successful raiding and looting trip, this time bringing in 40 fine sheep.

About 4.30 this afternoon our old Nelson gun was moved out to the extreme north-west outpost trenches, and from there fired five or six of her solid balls at the enemy’s new' laager. She shoots very erratically but some were at least seen to go close and one right over the Boers, shewing that she can well reach the position.

Beastly night, pitch-black darkness and raining hard.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: QSAMIKE

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.556 seconds