• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4543
1900 - From the diary of Major George Tatham, Natal Carbineers

Wet. Visited outposts as usual.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

January 30th 2 years 3 months ago #81192

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4543
1899 - Diary of the siege of Mafeking by Edward Ross

Tuesday, 30 January

Rained hard nearly all night.

Seemingly a lot of unrest amongst the Boers, and our post commandants warned to have an extra sharp look-out and to stand men to arms at 3.30 a.m.

A few stray shots during the night, otherwise everything quiet.

The enemy can be seen removing their new laager from the north, to a safer distance away; they must have been very much surprised yesterday to find those big round lumps of iron tumbling about their ears. This is the second time old Nelson has made it so warm for them that they have had to shift their position.

Currie again shot another of the enemy’s snipers today at the brickfields. This will make the bally old Boers nice and mad. It is a great pity they cannot be tempted to make an attack, by jove; with all our out-trenches and retiring trenches they would get such a hot time that they would imagine all the dogs of hell were let loose. As B.P. sarcastically remarks, why can’t they instead of shelling the women’s laager, take the more manly course and attack our defences? But it appears nothing will draw them.

The enemy’s high-velocity, quick-firing 9-pounder has again returned from somewhere and has been placed in position north of the town. This makes it very awkward as we cannot dodge this one like we can Big Ben, so have to trust to providence that we are not in line when she fires. Horrid luck.

Lord Roberts’s message about holding out a few more weeks seems to have been a bit of an ill-timed joke on his part, and we believe Methuen’s crowd are still today at Modder River. We are boxed here now nearly four months, it hardly seems possible! What on earth are they doing all the time? The Colonel says, "Waiting for reinforcements.” Well, it seems as if we shall continue to wait, until we are starved out.

A notice has been issued saying that from tomorrow the bread ration per day will be reduced to 1/2 lb Per man. I wonder if the staff are living on the same amount. But it is quite possible for them to do so, as they have plenty of little luxuries to sandwich in between, whilst we poor devils have only to depend on what is graciously doled out to us. Must keep our mouth shut, and be damned glad to get what we can. It would only take about six words spoken at random to find oneself under arrest. Ellitson tells me he is going to give up the butchering from tomorrow, so I suppose after that the Government authorities will themselves issue the rations. That will be ten times worse for us, and we don’t look forward to it with any degree of happiness.

Poor old Jim McMullen died this afternoon in the refugee laager. He passed away very suddenly, death being caused by heart disease. Leaves a wife and five children. He was one of the oldest and best known farmers in the district, and will be very much regretted.

This afternoon two natives from the enemy’s lines were seen approaching under cover of the white flag. They were immediately arrested and stated the Boers had sent them in with a message from Saane (a native petty chief) to Wessels, asking if he was still alive. They also stated that a very large crowd of Boers had arrived but they were not coming into Mafeking, but were going on to Gaberones, and were returning to take Mafeking when they had captured the soldiers up north. That’s good news for us, as they might sell themselves a pup. The natives also state that all the surrounding Baralongs have joined the Boers and taken up arms against us. Not very comforting is it?

These natives are to be kept close prisoners as they are simply believed to be the enemy’s spies. I understand it is the intention of B.P. to send out and tell Snyman that he will not recognise the white flag when in the hands of natives.

Owing to my doing Dixon’s and other work during the daytime, Colonel Vyvyan has granted me a night as well as a day pass, so that I am now relieved of sentry duty' although still attached to the same post, to which I must hurry in case of alarm. One good point in this arrangement is that when there is no shelling I can now go to my own bed, after having slept on the ground for the past three and half months.

Last night a patrol of about 50 of the enemy’s men, who had evidently lost their way, advanced very close to the town, but on finding their position immediately retreated quicker than they came. It was impossible for the redoubt to fire or they might have shot some of our outposts. What the outposts were doing is not explained.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.600 seconds