TOPIC:

February 14th 12 years 1 month ago #2290

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
1900 - Kimberley siege day 123 (99%). Ladysmith siege day 105 (88%). Mafeking siege day 125 (57%). Fourth attempt to relieve Ladysmith. Buller seizes Hussar Hill.
1901 - Plumer in action at Wolvekuil with de Wet. Smith-Dorrien reaches Amsterdam.

In Kimberley:

A very busy day. At 6 am Major Fraser reported from Beaconsfield that he thought Alexandersfontein was evacuated. I instructed to at once ascertain if this was true, and very shortly afterwards heard that he and about 100 men of the Beaconsfield Town Guard had occupied Alexandersfontein. Prisoners, waggons, ammunition, cattle, despatches etc were captured, and a quantity of vegetables and supplies fell into our hands. I reinforced Major Fraser with 125 mounted men under Col Peakman and later in the morning Captain O’Brien 2nd Lt Webster and about 74 men 1/LN Lan Regt proceeded to take command and for Col Peakman and Major Fraser to return.

This morning I directed a small reconnaissance to be made in the direction of Toll Pan. During it Major Rodger DFA as shot through the forearm – the enemy was found to be in considerable numbers in this direction.

The following message was sent by helio.

“From Kekewich to Ch of Staff. Alexandersfontein found evacuated daybreak to-day, and have occupied position, and am now strongly entrenching same so as to prevent enemy obtaining access to springs there possible may result in enemy abandoning laagers East of Wimbledon ridge – owing to want of water. Large movement waggons from Spyfontein towardsNiorth in progress eight to ten miles West of Kimberley –Carter’s ridge also very strongly occupied apparently to cover movement of waggons. Small reconnoitring party sent out daybreak towards East found enemy in possession Tollpan. Two hundred Boers showed themselves and opened vigorous fire with Nordenfeldts and small arms. Our casualty Major T Rodger DFA flesh wound left arm.”

“From Int KB to Int MD. Feb 14 No 218. First result occupation Alexandersfontein two Boer despatch riders with despatches and three other men rode into place and were captured. Despatch dated SHULAIN 12th Feb from Genl Breyternboch to Genl De Wet has been translated refers to fight at Doodoosberg 8th following expression occurs in despatch begins, I found my laager in not too satisfactory a state. General Kolbe under circumstances has gone to Griquatown ends. Despatches to General Cronje also captured not yet translated. One relates to compensation for colonial burghers if their property damaged by British Troops, another relates to Boer deserters being sent back to Modder River. Cannot obtain much information from prisoners. Following are principal items of intelligence collected. Burghers of Republican forces becoming very dissatisfied, numbers of men from Hoopstad laager have deserted. Four hundred Boshopers left Alexandersfontein eleven pm yesterday on arrival of horsemen from South who reported Cronje and large commando captured at WELGERAL by our troops yesterday. It is believed Boshopers went East. Five thousand men are investing Kimberley. Three thousand men have at various times gone from Scholtz Nek to Colesberg last det one-thousand strong left last week. Portion of Winburg Laager south of Alexandersfontein left for South 10 pm yesterday.”

“From Int KB to Int MD Feb 14th 7 pm 219. To-days news small reconnoitring party sent East daybreak came into contact with enemy at Toll Pan causing Boers to disclose their position. Major Rodger DFA wounded in left arm. Daybreak information received Alexandersfontein evacuated by Boers. Beaconsfield Town Guard advanced and occupied Boer position and were reinforced with guns Mounted Troops and North Lancs. Two despatch riders, some Boers with waggons carrying food, ammunition, cattle, horses came into out lines unaware change of situation and were captured. Slight resistance by one party resulted in Boer being killed. Since our occupation Alexandersfontein enemy has directed artillery and small arms fire on our troops all day. Our casualties to present time three men wounded. Enemy recommenced bombardment Kimberley 7 am. Civilian named Robinson killed by fragment of shell falling N part of town. Enemy fired 84 shells at Alexandersfontein, 84 at Kimberley included in latter are 35 from siege gun.”

“From Int KB to Int MD Feb 14 7 pm No 220. Considerable movement waggons towards East and west observed to-day especially in latter direction.”

The following message was received during the night.

“Feb 13 No I 113. Jeremiah William and Charles arrived report Boer camp Picardy, ZOUTUMNFONTEIN, Dronfield and Peddiefontein. Picquets at Bergsfarm. Laagers Kopjiesdam and Koodoosberg commandos going Feb 10th fire Langvierg towards Legatine – ie Kimberley.

In Mafeking:

Valentine's Day. I rode into the town and having transacted my business, and had a pleasant ride round the western outposts, returned just in time to elude their first shells. They are messing about their works as usual, but what they are doing we cannot quite make out. They have, however, withdrawn their marquees from their gun at McMullan's farm. The homely Dutch families generally play about the gun (the Asp on the Cocktrice's den—N.B. the Cocktrice's business end directed on us), and when family life is most in evidence in the gun's vicinity they generally fire on the town, as it does not amuse the dear things to fire at a small mark where they may possibly do no damage, whilst they think thev cannot well miss everybody in the town. The fair ladies frequently fire the gun themselves and dandle their babies on high to look on at the prospective slaughter of English women and children. Charming race! I think even Sheridan could scarcely find a Dutch woman " an excuse for a glass," or, indeed, an excuse for anything else. However, if their menkind had as much pluck as they possess venom, Mafeking would not now be flying the Union Jack, but the Vierkleur of bilious hue. This is plentiful in the vicinity, but has not, and will not, desecrate the township, and I trust the new issue may serve as a model for the ribbon of our Transvaal medal. Sundown: Creaky dismantled. Are they sick of it at last?
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

February 14th 8 years 1 month ago #45274

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From the diary of William Watson, Ladysmith, February 1900:

Rebel gun firing toward Colenso, presumably on Buller’s troops, their maxims are also busy. — A dispatch from lord Roberts published, he says, he has invaded the Free State with a large army, and hoped soon to relieve the pressure on Ladysmith. — Noon, a few shells coming in from Bulwan. The powers, call for contributions of eggs, for the hospital. It’s likely. There’s hardly a hen roost that has not been cleared out by our warriors, and now they expect to find eggs. — The English prisoners at Pretoria, are said to have been badly treated as regards food. I don’t think much of this. They can not have been as badly treated as we have been. Soldiers and sailors, are notorious grumblers. A few shells as usual, at sun set. — Mrs Nicholson’s house was robbed yesterday. Some money, and ancient jewellery, and valuable papers were stolen. The last, were found on the river’s bank. We have a nice lot of scoundrels in the town.
Dr David Biggins

February 14th 7 years 1 month ago #51965

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

Rose 5.30 passing a restless night. After breakfast got an hour’s sleep and then went down to the Doctor’s, taking it easy until dinner time, when I made a capital feed, getting a little green vegetables the first for 12 weeks. How well it went down! McVarish, the Garrison Chaplain, received a note to conduct the last sad rights over the remains of Major Doveton of the Imperial Light Horse. The sad event caused a great gloom amongst us as he was very popular both with his regiment and while Manager of the Village Main Reef Gold Mine at the Rand. He was badly wounded on Wagon Hill and was to have had his arm amputated, but it was deferred until his wife arrived, who the Boers drove through on Monday last. “Long Tom” or “Big Ben” opened up fire about 10 o’clock making the Convent the target to which our home adjoins. 1 Shell fell below and 2 burst within 50 yards of the back premises. The place was closed for some weeks because of the havoc the shells had made of the building, and on resuming occupation, the enemy must have seen our fellows strolling about. Expect we shall be cleared out. Surgn. Maj. Elliott and Dunn of J.H.B. dropped in during the evening. At 8 o’clock I went down to Mrs. Hayden’s and had a rubber of whist, getting another delicious cup of coffee before leaving. Was the only one favoured. Felt sorry for the others. Returned at 10 o’clock. Got to bed but couldn’t sleep for hours.
Dr David Biggins

February 14th 7 years 1 month ago #51966

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

More shelling today. I have heard of no one hurt though.

Poor Major Duffton passed a dreadful night, but passed quietly away at half past ten this morning. The funeral was large and left here at 7.30 tonight. Mrs. Duffton was driven in Major Karri Davis' carriage. The General was there and Alick as his orderly (how these Colonials do hate that job). Mrs. Duffton has not returned here tonight. Dr. Davis has taken her to Mr. Lines' house to get away from the sad associations connected with this house.

Nurse Bradbury has not been well today. She had to go back to bed before breakfast this morning and has rested all day, so perhaps will be better tomorrow.
Dr David Biggins

February 14th 7 years 1 month ago #51967

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the letters writer by Lt Col Park in Ladysmith

More news came in last night - a wire from Roberts to say he had crossed the Free State frontier with a large force and expected that, as a result, the pressure on Ladysmith would be considerably relieved in the next few days. I believe, geographically, there is very little to delay a force marching through the Free State, and no position of any strength at which it could be opposed, so that it should not take Bobs long to reach Bloemfontein. I expect they are playing up for a good theatrical coup by taking Bloemfontein and relieving Ladysmith simultaneously on the anniversary of Majuba Hill, which is 27th (or 28th) February. Anyway, Colonel Knox doesn’t think we shall be kept here beyond the next fortnight, and says a week is much more likely. Four Boer laagers at various points round here are reported to have disappeared yesterday, which looks as if they were getting uneasy, though they have still got most of their guns in the old positions round the town. There is only one which worries us at all, the big 6-in. gun on Bulwana Mountain. He generally does a little shooting daily, but happily doesn’t fire much at our corner now, and the last eight or ten shells he has dropped in our camp have done no harm beyond killing one horse. He is nearly four miles off in a straight line, and the only guns in the garrison which can reach him are the two naval 4.7 in. guns, and they are so short of ammunition they are not allowed to fire except in case of serious attack, so “Long Tom” has it all his own way.

Kane came back from the hospital camp two days ago, recovered from his wound and from the dysentery which followed it, and he is now very well again. It is a great relief to me to get them safe back, and Kane is such a particularly nice boy.

I am afraid it will be a long while before Gunning is right again. They say that the left lung is adhering to the muscles of the back and has contracted in some way, so that it has displaced his heart nearly three inches, which must upset all the breathing and blood arrangements, and there is only one sound lung to do all the work into the bargain. I don’t expect we shall see him in India again for a year or more.

Byrne has had a slight relapse, but the rest are getting on well, though we shall not get any more back here for duty. I think I have touched my lowest siege weight (9st.21b.), as I am beginning to go up again, and have put on a pound in the last week. If I am not ill, I ought to keep that up.

Here are a few prices paid at the market yesterday: A pot of jam, 32s.6d.; tin of ox tongue, 26s.; twelve eggs, 48s.; 2 oz. of tobacco, 22s.; one vegetable marrow, 28s.; fifty cigars, 10 pounds, 10s. There seem to be some people here with lots of money, who don’t care how much they pay for little luxuries. I find that, now I am getting used to it, the reduced ration is really quite enough to keep one going and in fair health, provided one is not doing hard work. We luckily have a good store of extra tea in the mess and some extra biscuits, so that we have tea of sorts three times a day, and an extra biscuit each, daily. The horse beef is not bad, and is decidedly richer and more nourishing than some of the wretched old cattle we ate earlier.
Dr David Biggins

February 14th 7 years 1 month ago #51973

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
When ever I think of the siege, I never consider the possibility of looting and so forth, very sad indeed, but, I suppose there would have been a few people that would have taken advantage of the situation.

djb wrote: From the diary of William Watson, Ladysmith, February 1900:

Rebel gun firing toward Colenso, presumably on Buller’s troops, their maxims are also busy. — A dispatch from lord Roberts published, he says, he has invaded the Free State with a large army, and hoped soon to relieve the pressure on Ladysmith. — Noon, a few shells coming in from Bulwan. The powers, call for contributions of eggs, for the hospital. It’s likely. There’s hardly a hen roost that has not been cleared out by our warriors, and now they expect to find eggs. — The English prisoners at Pretoria, are said to have been badly treated as regards food. I don’t think much of this. They can not have been as badly treated as we have been. Soldiers and sailors, are notorious grumblers. A few shells as usual, at sun set. — Mrs Nicholson’s house was robbed yesterday. Some money, and ancient jewellery, and valuable papers were stolen. The last, were found on the river’s bank. We have a nice lot of scoundrels in the town.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.457 seconds